Angus bull for hip, bone, and neck...

Help Support Steer Planet:

dcbehle

We are constantly looking for options on improving our phenotype of our small Angus herd and need Angus bull options to improve them.. Our 3 cows trace back to Vermilion Dateline 7078/TC Stockman 365. They are low to mid 6 frame, big bodied cows with solid epd's and milk scores. All three throw thick topped calves with relatively clean fronts. However, we are interested in bulls that would improve the following:

- Big square hip
- Bigger boned
- Longer, cleaner neck
- Smooth/soft made middles, that blend in cleanly behind the shoulders
- Frame scores between 6.0 to 6.8

We have used bulls like Raven, Jupiter, Traveler 004, and Marathon. All of our calves must have a reasonable disposition as we must handle all cattle on the halter. Our 004 calves obviously tested the limits on docility, but were still manageable. Finally, all calves we raise go through a show ring at some point in their careers as our primary marketing tool.

Please post bulls that you believe fit the mold.

kiblercattle

Hf tiger 5t he works well on my vrd and 365s. They are extremely stylish and big bodied with about the right frame score. The only thing he doesn't do that you want is give neck extension. They have nice fronts they just aren't long.

ploughshare

Two young bulls to consider:

SCC First n Goal, solely based on his full sister, no calves yet
Dameron First Impression, check out Lots 117 and 118 in Express Ranch's Big Event catalog. Wow is all I can say.
Lut, but at 200 a straw, might be a bit too pricey.

gary89

Century Impressive is a Northern Improvement son that has never been promoted, but I would urge you to seriously consider this bull to improve your Angus herd. He is way better than what the picture is. We have several females out of him and absolutely love them. As an added bonus he throws nice hair. One of the best heifers in Iowa this year is out of him, and last year Greiman's had a foundation simmy that did very well and was top 20 at junior nationals. There have been others as well,but has only been used on a small scale. You would love the calves and he fits what you are looking for in an Angus bull.

http://www.centuryacresangus.com/herdsires.html
Hope this helps-good luck.

leanbeef

I'm looking for a similar type bull that also has a complete EPD profile as well to use on registered Angus cows as well as some Simmental to make SimAngus. Two bulls I like right now are EXAR Upshot & Coneally Consensus 7229. I'll prob also give New Day 454 another look before breeding time. Some of the best Angus-sired calves I've had lately were SAV Pioneers...they were all SimAngus bulls. I've also seen some really nice, cowy Angus females out of Yon Future Focus.

dcbehle

Love the recommendations thus far.

HF Tiger is a Kodiak son just like Soo Line Motive who we used this spring. I'm interested in seeing what's on the ground at this point next year.

Century Impressive looks good, but we need a little more performance for some of our customers.

SCC First n Goal is one I have not heard of and I like the pedigree. Looks like an outstanding profile, in addition to feet and legs. How does the hip look from the rear view?

Dameron First Impression is one I've been studying. His sire, Brilliance is one I've looked at for a couple of years.

Has anyone tried Siveiras Watchout 0514. He's a BC Lookout out of a Gambles Hot Rod cow? He will be 2 years old this Septmber, so I'd be surprised to have many calves on the ground yet.

EXAR Upshot is one I was interested in this year and I've heard mixed reviews on Consensus.

74-51 Changing Time 060 looks interesting, but I'm a bIt cautious with the NHC/Precision pedigree.

Triple L Farms, Big Softy 1157, is a very nice looking calving ease bull. He has a Raptor/Lookout pedigree, but is only 18 months old and limited records.

If anyone knows much about these bulls, let me know.

goodnight

dcbehle said:
We are constantly looking for options on improving our phenotype of our small Angus herd and need Angus bull options to improve them.. Our 3 cows trace back to Vermilion Dateline 7078/TC Stockman 365. They are low to mid 6 frame, big bodied cows with solid epd's and milk scores. All three throw thick topped calves with relatively clean fronts. However, we are interested in bulls that would improve the following:

- Big square hip
- Bigger boned
- Longer, cleaner neck
- Smooth/soft made middles, that blend in cleanly behind the shoulders
- Frame scores between 6.0 to 6.8

We have used bulls like Raven, Jupiter, Traveler 004, and Marathon. All of our calves must have a reasonable disposition as we must handle all cattle on the halter. Our 004 calves obviously tested the limits on docility, but were still manageable. Finally, all calves we raise go through a show ring at some point in their careers as our primary marketing tool.

Please post bulls that you believe fit the mold.

Sylveira's Style...you will like them.

C

cedarcurve

The OCC bull that Joel Brooks Shorthorns in IL has... Not sure of the name.

There is also a bull, either Juneau, or a Juneau son-- that's got an interesting, different look for an Angus..  Supposedly got a little Maine back in the woodpile-- sure sorry I can't nail down his name-- but it gives you a place to start.

Telos

I like Upshot from a genetic standpoint. Express might think he can offer a little different genetic package with some outcross potential. He sure looks like he is made right with all the pieces.

RLS

Might look into Payday or Payroll.  Seen a few good looking bull calves just the other day..  Would of bought one of them but the birth weights were a little high for me.

CAB

PVF have had great showy looking bulls over the past years.
You may want to look @ a bull that Freddy on here raised named Northern Gun. He may be just the bull to do what you are wanting. Picture of him on Freddy's avatar.

bluffcountrycattle

How about BC Eagle Eye??  Does a lot of things right...  He can throw a little more shoulder, but if your cows are nice shouldered you should be good to go.  We are using a son of him....  He's pictured on our website along with one of his first calves.  We bred our cows all naturally to him this spring, with high anticipation for similar results next year!

dscott

CAB said:
orf said:
jsar titan

Tirtan's sire Rodman. Prettier fronted than Titan and way more proof for now that is.

titan calves are heavier muscled and bigger boned than rodmans.  you are right tho not as pretty fronted but not heavy fronted.

Cattle Cards

Dan May's Walker 722W  AAA Reg #: 16337896...impressive bull. Saw him in the pasture a few weeks ago in the Oklahoma heat.  Calves look great and he looks better than his video (where he's fat and sassy).  He impressed the heck out of me.  You'd have to contact Dan about semen as I'm not aware of him being carried by any semen distributor. 

http://www.showsteers.com/danmay/index.htm
<cowboy>