Angus classification question

Help Support Steer Planet:

reno1014

We have an Angus (?) calf...seems that they are hard to class sometimes I read the registry classification guidelines
Our calf looks Angus all the way from his head to his tail....except his switch is black with white and a few red hairs.
He had a black tail up until about two months ago when white hairs started popping up....the skin as far as I can tell is black.
What should we do?  Take him and try it out and hope my son can explain to the classifiers or run him in another class?

KCF

Here is the classification according the American Angus Association,
"No animal red in color or with white skin
above underline or in front of navel, or
on leg, foot, or tail is eligible for registration.
Steers are eligible waiving the
white restrictions, except that steers born
after December 31, 1986 with white skin
above the underline or on leg, foot or tail
shall not be eligible for registration.

That is what they have on there regristration forms. Hope it helps

Bradenh

are you in texas? or are you going by the northern peoples style of classifying (which i know nothing about)

Bradenh

in tx you just lead it in the classifying ring and you tell them you want it angus, maine, american , whatever. . . . and they tell you if they agree. and if they do, you show in that breed. if they dont you show in aob. doesnt matter blood line or anything. they class out papered angus steers all the time. and let in heatwaves as angus all the time as well, if your in tx just make him all black and go with it