Angus for Simmental - Need to clean up Neck

Help Support Steer Planet:

Cattledog

3c said:
Agree on heavy hitter but he is definitely not a heifer bull!  Only breed him to cows.

I think every one takes the calving ease thing in angus to far. In my opinion if you are using these bulls on larger framed breeds like simmental you will not have any problems with heifers. The epd's are breed specific. I have used All Star on over 40 heifers with no pulls and he is around +4 on birth.Most of these were straight angus some were simmental.

Well, to each their own, but Heavy hitter is close to a +6 for birth weight.  I understand you logic on larger framed animals but I really think this would be playing with fire.  I wouldn't recommend using him on a heifer.  There are so many options to sleep easy at night to not have to use something like this the first go around. 

Blake

Glenstory said:
A lot of good bulls have been mentioned.   I would also consider MCC Cupid.
we have a SimAngus heifer out of mcc cupid right now and we are very pleased with her

Cattledog

Blake said:
Glenstory said:
A lot of good bulls have been mentioned.   I would also consider MCC Cupid.
we have a SimAngus heifer out of mcc cupid right now and we are very pleased with her

I saw MCC Cupid and I thought he was extremely impressive!

the angus111

Karlton, he was like a 1.7bw,i dont know what he is now.when i was big on hot rod he had a low bw,but as data came in,his bw went up.i have had hot rod calves out of heifers,no problem.maybe somebody else knows.probably a fence deal. rusty

Show Steaks

OUTER LIMITS!!!! Hands down my pick..... super deep bodies great front ends(better than new edition in my opinion) extra muscle.. he's the real deal.... look him up at the duff cattle site

Steer4Caddy

I love our Northern Improvement daughters.  They raise our best steers today.  Recently though we have found this bull and he is much easier calving than NI.  More moderate and powerful and possibly even better fronted.  His BWEPD is .7
He is an Oldhe bred bull.  Has the power and look but much better calving than Legend and Duff bulls with similar builds.

We've been selling semen on him for about 3 months.

OCC Eureka X Full Sister to OCC Freestyle

Attachments

• Nix 310  Good Pic.jpg
    Nix 310 Good Pic.jpg
    390.2 KB · Views: 239

SEA

Steer4Caddy said:
I love our Northern Improvement daughters.  They raise our best steers today.  Recently though we have found this bull and he is much easier calving than NI.  More moderate and powerful and possibly even better fronted.  His BWEPD is .7
He is an Oldhe bred bull.  Has the power and look but much better calving than Legend and Duff bulls with similar builds.

What is hiis name?  Who bred and raised him?  Who is handling semen?  Thanks,

Steer4Caddy

SEA said:
Steer4Caddy said:

He was raised by Bar Wick Farms in Texas bought inside a cow from Ohlde.  We own him now and call him NIX 310.  Bovine Elite in Texas is handling the semen but most I've sold myself and shipped from Champion Genetics in Canton Texas.

Blake

BCCC said:
Would El Capitan be calving ease on cross bred heifers?
im not quite sure but i think el capitan came up positive for AMf and NH or whatever they are called 

SEA

Steer4Caddy said:
SEA said:
Steer4Caddy said:

He was raised by Bar Wick Farms in Texas bought inside a cow from Ohlde.  We own him now and call him NIX 310.  Bovine Elite in Texas is handling the semen but most I've sold myself and shipped from Champion Genetics in Canton Texas.
Whant is your name?  If you do not want to advertise it on here , please email to me.

savaged

[/quote]

I don't know if I would go the Northern Improvement route.  Don't get me wrong he is a sure fire calving ease bull with some style but I would breed MCATL Reachout.  Those are some of the most rocket fronted angus females that I've seen in a long time and he is proving out to be a calving ease bull himself.  They also have some muscle and substance to go along with it.  I am expecting 4 calves out of him in January and am anxious for their arrival.  Here is a link to him at cattlevisions.

http://www.cattlevisions.com/Angus/MCATL-Reachout.php

[/quote]

Cattledog,

How did those Reachout calves turn out?

cattle nut

You have got alot of responses but I have a couple more suggestions. I am not sure but I assume your cows are black hided.
1) I would very seriously consider Duff New Generation 6107. He is so impressive right now with the best angus foot I have ever seen and impressive muscle shape. He is still a bit of a hidden gem at this point.
2) If you can use a red sire, then you very seriously need to look at Red Blair's Daytona 116U. He is our bull but look and his picture and take into account how great the dam and grand dam are. www.blairscattleco.com

SEA

If you are making cows always use a proven bull.  First know your cows, second choose the trait or traits you are wanting to address.  Then choose the bull that fits your needs.

Trait 1-Easy Calving.  Since they are heifers, that is the top prioritly trait in my mind.  A good live calf.

Trait 2- Make replacement females for club calf production.

Trait 3-Clean up front ends.

Three of the bulls already mentioned are proven club cow makers.  OCC Legend, SAV Final Answer, and your choice Northern Improvement.  I have used two of these three bulls and already have the third one in the tank for heifers for A.I. breeding this spring.  All good sound proven bulls for what you are looking for, calving ease, front ends, and making replacement females, also good hipped.  They are each a little different in there make-ups. Here is how I use them.

OCC Legend-smallest frame size.  Use him on the tall ones if you have any.  Great females.
SAV Final Answer-huge bellied and best growth.  Good all around bull.  Clubby guys are just catching on.
Northern Improvement-maybe tallesst frame of the three (?), best profile and show bull of the three.  Will make them the prettiest.

GOOD LUCK!!

savaged

Thanks for the practical info and advice!  Here is a pic of one of the heifers - a Dream On.  She is a bit thicker than typical.

In addition to the Angus bulls mentioned, how about Shiver on her?

Attachments

• Lucy.JPG
    Lucy.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 235

ganggreen

savaged said:
Putting together my plans for breeding, and I want to use an Angus bull on some Simmental heifers.  Am thinking Northern Improvement, but wondered what others think would be a good bull to clean-up those simmy necks.   

My other goal is to make good club-calf  Sim-Angus cows.

Thanks for any advice!
try sugar ray.

savaged

CAB said:
While your @ the Cattle vision's web-site, take a peek @ the bull Dawson's Cherokee 166. He's young and not many calves out of him yet, but I know that Dawson's have had some very good ones out of him. We used him on heifers last season so we'll know more here next spring. We purposely used him to hopefully clean up and extend some fronts hopefully not pinching front ends together in the process. worth cking into I think.

We used Dan's bull Jaycee's Ramblin Fever also, but not on cattle that needed extention. MO is that Ramblin Fever is not a bull that will help fronts. I also don't think that he'll necessarily hurt fronts either. We think that he is fairly complete. We used him on cows that we thought could use more guts and needed help with structure.

CAB,  How do those Cherokee calves look?