Angus heifers?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ska

Hey yall. So i want to start being more competitive in the heifer division. I have looked at different breeds of cattle ect. I have talked to many people and have found that if i wanted to get started breeding cattle, Angus are good because you can breed then a lot of different ways and they can be very versatile. so i kinda picked to show Angus.  I do not really like shorthorn or anything like that. (No offense to people who do)  i like black Angus and always have. I have a few decent black Angus. But i really wanted to step it up and get a really good one. I wanted to know what are some really good Angus heifer breeders. I know when my fair is and when i wanna breed, where i am located ect. But i just want to know some really good ones. Id like to show competitively and hopefully start breeding. I am not a huge fan of colored cattle and i think black cattle look really good. I know everyone might have their own opinion on breeds as far as starting a heard but I know Angus are good. And there are lots of ways you can breed then and still get good calves. Thank you for reading all this! any response is much appreciated.  <beer>

vc

Colburn Cattle Company, They have a really good set of cows producing some awesome Heifer calves. They also sell quit a few embryos throughout the year if you wanted to go that rout

www.colburncattle.com

ska

Thank you for the responses. I have looked at colburn and gave the guy a call. Very nice heifers but they can get very $$ very fast. I dont know if i said but this heifer would be for a California jackpots. and maybe a few majors. I am also getting pretty shy about buying one this year. It seems like more and more shows are closing (corona). I just dont know if i should talk the risk. i dont know what everyone's plan is as far as buying calves to show but.

Medium Rare

I would imagine California is a whole different deal when compared to the midwest. Would it make more sense to take the top tier calf budget and divide it up into implanting eggs for the next year and running a middle tier bargain this year? If people are nervous about show cancelations, I would think there would be several middle tier calves running under the radar at farms that don't have a nation wide reputation that allows them to stick to their guns.

In my experience, the CCC bulls need bred to a certain type of animal. I have a feeling a lot of the eggs I see being offered out of many of today's show heifers might not click as well as expected.

Steve123

Vintage Angus Ranch is in Modesto, CA. They are not bred to show but they have lots of cows and customers. You may be able to find a unicorn.

Schnoor Sisters in Chowchilla, CA are exclusive angus now I think. They showed some awesome angus heifers.

ska

Yes California is a little different than the midwest. I was thinking of buying some embryos. But then i would have to wait.  I really wanted to show something. scared everything might end up canceled though. And yes and I have looked at vintage. I actually just got a western livestock journal with their sale on it lol very nice cows. not too showy. very nice cattle.

vc

I would think because of the covid it might be the right time to go the embryo rout, find you a decent heifer this year, if the shows go on then you have an animal to drag around if they do not you will have a decent cow and hopefully competitive calves on the way. We had 2 heifers from Colburn's they supplied for our heifer scholarship, the Girls who were showing them entered them as grade heifers, won their classes and even had a few champion and reserve grade banners. The Angus deal in California is pretty competitive. 

MA012

In my experience, the CCC bulls need bred to a certain type of animal.
Medium Rare, what type has worked best for you?

Medium Rare

MA012 said:
In my experience, the CCC bulls need bred to a certain type of animal.
Medium Rare, what type has worked best for you?

They need to carry some frame, extension through their front one third, some performance, depth of heel, and milk if you plan to keep them. The best calves have come from shorthorn cows, but I've only had a few out of maine angus cows to compare them with. Primo threw more muscling than Creed. I don't believe I have any of the Inspire calves on the ground yet to compare to the other two.