angus steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

gw197510

I am looking for a good Angus steer for next year....any particular sires I should be looking for?

oakie

absolutely loved my 7022 bc raven calf. The kids couldn't feed it but he still gained like crazy. The dirty harry calf was fed the same ration and he was about 200lbs from where he should have been and the raven was only about 50. the kids fed them 30-40 lbs a day of corn, somehow they did not die. They gave them the entire amount of feed at one time when they were going on trips. so I liked raven, he had a better adg

shorthorngirl2010

To me, it would depend on what you want to do with him.  If you just want to jackpot, something with a bit more of a clubby look would probably get you farther (as long as hes still growthy), and Lookout, Hot Rod, & Lutton come to mind when talking that scenario.  If your end point is a terminal/carcass contest, you might drift towards something with some eye appeal & balance, but with good carcass numbers too, and I like to think of Crossover in that situation (if you can find many more as he IS dirty and a quite a few have gravitated away from those lines for that reason).  I know there are TONS more out there, but to make it short and sweet, I figured I'd throw out a few of the better known sires.
Hope this helps a little.
-Sam

Dero

No to classify as an Angus the calf does not have to be a pb.  There have been many a good PB Angus calves that haven't been classified as Angus because they were too good

vc

At most shows to classify as  Angus it has to have Angus characteristics, that's why they said it depended on how good the Angus cow is. To good a cow with  Monopoly you probably will get sorted out of the Angus division. I think it was Chambero who has had Registered Angus calves sorted out of the Angus division  and has seen Heatwaves not get sifted from the Angus division.

shorthorngirl2010

Whoa that classing system throws in a whole new curve ball. That being said-- gw197510: Are these calves going to be @ shows on a classing system, or are they going to need papers??

OLD WORLD SHORTIE

angus and shorthorn classing is so screwed up in Texas, its sad when a full blood gets classed out when cross bred cheaters and their buddies laugh all the way to the purple.
Ive seen steers get classed out because they were just to good, that whats wrong with Texas shows. Its all rigged, white bean or black bean what will it be for your calf this January.