angus vs clubby cattle for showing

Help Support Steer Planet:

ska

so, i know it is a big question. but i want to start a heard of cattle but i want to show good cattle and win with them. what would be better for what I'm looking for? i know angus is better for being a herd and being cows but clubbies are more competitive in show. so i just don't know what to do. any opinions would be great. i do not want to go short horn or anything like that. please help. i want something with hair, bone, good breedable cattle. and ik angus are usually more expensive. and if i were to go to clubbies, what would i do with them after i am done showing them? breed them? sell them? and if i want to sell them,where would i sell them and do people want them?

thanks all!

ska

so if i had to pick one it would be good to go with clubbies?

knabe

ska said:
so, i know it is a big question. but i want to start a heard of cattle but i want to show good cattle and win with them. what would be better for what I'm looking for? i know angus is better for being a herd and being cows but clubbies are more competitive in show. so i just don't know what to do. any opinions would be great. i do not want to go short horn or anything like that. please help. i want something with hair, bone, good breedable cattle. and ik angus are usually more expensive. and if i were to go to clubbies, what would i do with them after i am done showing them? breed them? sell them? and if i want to sell them,where would i sell them and do people want them?

thanks all!

is there someone you can work for ?

ska

like for money or to like just show their cattle then return them?

ska

then show angus heifers? so i get the best of both worlds?  O0 O0 O0 O0

Bradenh

ska said:
want something with hair, bone, good breedable cattle. and ik angus are usually more expensive. and if i were to go to clubbies, what would i do with them after i am done showing them? breed them? sell them? and if i want to sell them,where would i sell them and do people want them?

thanks all!

Sounds like you're trying to get a unicorn out of the deal for the first part

What to do with the clubbies after showing? Shoot them in the head or practice your skills on calf pullers and bottle feeding- even doing that you may still end up shooting them in the head

Hard to sell the females unless they're world class good they will get blasted at the sale barn-

Do people want them? Not really.

----if you think an angus female is at a disadvantage to a clubby female in a breeding heifer show you are either watching the wrong guys sort of not going to enough shows- it's a fair fight. I don't even like angus but will tell you if you're dead set on one of these 2. Get an angus.

Pro tip- quit worrying about bone and hair that seems to be common in your posts. Learn to evaluate feet and legs more than anything, learn to evaluate teat and udder structure, body shape and proper angles and proper muscle pattern (not to be confused with big muscles) put bone and hair at the bottom of your priority list and you'll last a lot longer

ska

ok, can you help me learn some of this? please? and what cattle would you get?

Bradenh

I will post some links with learning material to get an idea what I'm talking about, however try to get in the truck and go to a respected outfit and let them ride you around and show you their cows and what works for them in a money generating setting- and get to as many shows as you can and sit in the stands and listen to the guys place cattle and talk reasons and I think you'll realize just how much more significant some other traits are over focusing on bone and hair and what looks cool in pictures