Angus X Mini Hereford calf

Help Support Steer Planet:

johnmetzger

I have a neighbor whom I sold 3 bred Angus heifers to last year.He wanted to make reciepts out of. To make a long story not any longer, one heifer came up open last spring. Now my neighbor raises ONLY Mini Hereford cattle (bull included) and U guessed it, this small framed angus gave birth to a black baldy bull two days ago. My question is there any value in these type of cattle (Mini Hereford X Angus)? I have yet to see the calf but he claims about a 60 lb bull calf.

brenn

We have a Dexter bull who we breed to first calf heifers, Hereford and Angus. We normally keep a calf or two just for our freezer... The rest go to the local auction yard. They are smaller and easy to feed... I don't think they are worth too much...

DiamondMCattle

They will be able to market him as a steer easily because the size wont be affected to heavily. Most people will see him and think he is just a small framed steer.

TJ

JDM said:
My question is there any value in these type of cattle (Mini Hereford X Angus)?

Maybe, but probably no more than what it's worth in somebody's deep freeze or at the sale barn.  I have no idea how big it is or how good it is, but it might be possible to sell it to a commercial producer as a calving ease bull.  The problem is, neither Angus nor Mini Herf's have a percentage registry, so it's a commerical animal & therefore the options are limited.  Lowline Angus actually have a percentage registry.  If the neighbor had been raising Lowline Angus instead of Mini Herf's this would be a totally different situation. 

TJ

ROMAX said:
Theres lots of money if it is belted and resembles a PANDA  (lol)

Only true if you can register it as a Panda. 

TJ

DiamondMCattle said:
They will be able to market him as a steer easily because the size wont be affected to heavily. Most people will see him and think he is just a small framed steer.

Maybe.  Some of those Mini Herf's are tiny, tiny.  If the dam is small & if the bull is tiny, it may be best ending up in somebody's deep freeze.  Without more info & without seeing the calf, it's impossible to say.