Animal Health

Help Support Steer Planet:

[cowgirl_up_47

We are doing a new thing with our 4-H club this year, everyone is going to lead a meeting. I chose to lead the January meeting on Animal (cattle) Health. I'm planning on going over vaccinations, when to give them, who gets what, maybe common illnesses/problems etc. I'm also planning on taking some props (vaccine bottles, balling gun, boluses, etc).

Does anyone have any other ideas on things to cover? I am the oldest in our club by at least a few years (I'm 16), so nothing too complicated.

Titangurl

Take a orange and fill a syringe with some food coloring then inject the orange then cut it in half and show the kids how the food coloring spread through the orange and relate it to how this is the same as an animals shot and how it would look u can also do this under the peel to represent sub q and then relate the two and discuss the damage. Hope this helps!

LN

Titangurl said:
Take a orange and fill a syringe with some food coloring then inject the orange then cut it in half and show the kids how the food coloring spread through the orange and relate it to how this is the same as an animals shot and how it would look u can also do this under the peel to represent sub q and then relate the two and discuss the damage. Hope this helps!

Dangit! You got to it first. I agree though, talk about the differences between subq and IM injections and maybe how to read labels.

aggiegal

Since they are young and 4-Hers often forget the very basics...discuss worming, alternating wormers, why it's important.
Basic management that prevents illnesses...clean water, pens, etc.

knabe

Titangurl said:

celery works good too with red dye.

[cowgirl_up_47

Titangurl said:

That's a great idea, thanks.

aggiegal said:
Since they are young and 4-Hers often forget the very basics...discuss worming, alternating wormers, why it's important.
Basic management that prevents illnesses...clean water, pens, etc.

Good idea, those are things that are often overlooked.

Titangurl

Your welcome have my degree in ag Ed got all sorts of fun activities like that :)

SouthWest

Compare your personal vaccination record and the ones in a typical US herd.  I love to show how our personal doctors still use  paper trail and files.  I have more than 30,000 all on an computerized animal health program corresponding to an eid.  Our animals have better mantained records than my own.