annual ASA Standing Committee Meetings

Help Support Steer Planet:

Malinda

I know there has been a lot of opinions expressed on SP about the ASA. Here is your big chance to get involved.

I received an email this morning that is addressed to all ASA members.It notifies us of all the standing committees, their meeting times and agendas.  If you are a member and did not get the email, contact me and I will email it to you.

Malinda

Doc

uluru said:
Can any fully paid up member of ASA attend these meetings or are they just attended by the committee members?

I believe any member can attend, only delegates can vote though.

Malinda

The way I understand it, Doc is correct.

The email I received was addressed: Dear American Shorthorn Association Members. The meetings are Sat evening at 7:00 pm. and 8:00 p.m.

I received a letter from the ASA informing me I was a delegate for my district....as well as several other SP members have. There should be a list of delegates in this month's Shorthorn Country. The yearly meeting where delegates vote is Sat morning.

Feel free to contact the delegates from your district. That's what we are for. Or better yet, pick which  of the standing committee meetings you would like to attend and speak your peace.

Malinda

uluru

I am the delegate for my district and that is why I was asking the question.
I received the same letters and read the article in Shorthorn Country.
I still wasn't completely sure the Standing Committee meetings were open to all members, but if they are that is great.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bob

stick

Voting delegates are listed on the ASA web site. The agendas for the committee meetings are also on there.

JoeBnTN

uluru said:
I am the delegate for my district and that is why I was asking the question.
I received the same letters and read the article in Shorthorn Country.
I still wasn't completely sure the Standing Committee meetings were open to all members, but if they are that is great.

Thanks for the clarification.

Bob

Bob,

Doc and Malinda are correct.  I've been on various committees over the years and they have always been open to the membership - voting member or not.  I would encourage anyone who's interested to attend and actively participate in the discussions.  If you're not sure of the agenda, contact the chair before the NAILE or drop me a note if I can help.

Joe

Malinda

I posted the wrong day for the committee meetings.

They are FRIDAY evening, not Sat.

The annual meeting is Sat.

One other thing:

The annual meeting is when the delegates elect the new members for the board of directors. Call them and let them know who YOU want to be on the board. The board will select YOUR new Executive Secretary. Again, if you do not like what goes on at the ASA here is your chance to have a say.

Malinda

oakbar

Thanks for the update and info., Malinda!!  I think the points you made are good ones---if we don't take part in the process, we shouldn't complain about the outcome.

I will be in Louisville, but unfortunately, I won't get there until Saturday so I won't be able to be involved in the committe meetings.  I have, however, checked over the agendas and I know at least 1 or 2 people on each committe that I will talk to before the meetings.  Hopefully, I'll be there in time for the annual meeting.

Looking forward to meeting several of the SP members and seeing some great cattle!!

See you in Lousiville!!!

aj

I| went to one in Denver. The meetings are kind of a one shot yearly meeting. I sometimes wondered if say a "commercial committee" could do a quarterly meeting somehow and try to accomplish something that way. Maybe some kind of joint phone deal or computer hookup or actual meetings. The once a year meetings are good but it seems like people just get an update and don't really participate during the year. Getting a bunch of Shorthorn bulls together for a test might be good. Getting everybody on the same page as when to wean and shots and everything is hard to do and before you know it it's to late and whatnot.I would like to see a Durham Red society formed that would have a committee meeting every year. Kinda like the Polled Congress deal. Just get all Durham Red people in a room and have it.