Annual Problem

Help Support Steer Planet:

brs5

Every year around the middle of june my calves develop a fungus problem. The hairloss begins on the tailhead and the top of the shoulders. the skin is dry and flaky. I have always treated it with iodine shampoo and antifungal shampoos. I understand that the problem is in my barn. Is there any sort of program that i can put my calves on to avoid this all together??

twistedhshowstock

There are many anitfungal sprays and shampoos out there.  I dont know specifically what your dealing with, but I guess my suggestions would be to start washing them with a iodine or antifungal shampoo before you see signs and hopefully it will stop it before you see it.  We always wash with an anti-bacterial/anti-fungal shampoo anytime we return from a show just to try and keep it out of our barns and keep anything they may have possibly come in contact with from becoming an issue.

twistedhshowstock

Also if you think the issue is in your barn...take a few days that you want need to put calves in the barn and bleach everything in the barn, boards, post, dirt, bedding, fences, feeders, waterers, brushed, combs, everything.  If you have a fungal issue in the barn bleach should wipe it out.

KCK

Keep bedding fresh and make sure you don't have lots of animals coming and going. Rodents can bring stuff like that in. Bleaching and cleaning are your friend, too.

Latest posts