Another confession- I'm a packrat!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I, Red aka Cathy, am a packrat. I'm trying to tackle one project a day & today it's my office. GADS!!!! the things I keep! I believe I have every Voice, every SC & every NLE I've received. Plus Livestock Plus, sale catalogs & who knows what else! Oh, also old AI books, semen sale catalogs & old college books no matter how out dated. I also probably have every leather halter & rope halter I've ever owned.  I have presentations from jobs I had 15 years ago, feed info, & just general everything. I keep thinking I'll need it someday or it has memories.
My other cupboards are just as bad. Things I never use anymore or have just never thrown away. I also tend to take whatever has been given to me no matter if I can use it.
I use to laugh at my mother in law because she;d keep little bits & pieces of food in her freezer. The other day I was cleaning mine out & found one tiny little piece of yellow pepper in a bag from who knows how long ago. I had to laugh that I've become her.

OK. how many other packrats are there? Any confessions? Or are you a throw it away & never look back type of person?

Red  (lol) <party>

farmboy

i dont think im a packrat but my room is pretty piled up with close

btw if you dont want those old AI books, ill take them off your hands  O0

kanshow

I was a neat freak.  I married a packrat.  Now 20 years later and he's turned me into a packrat.  We have an attic full, a storage shed full, you would not believe the stuff I have stuck in my cabinets that needs to go.  I'm still not as bad as hubby but getting closer. :p :-\  Right now, I'm in a purging mood.  I have been hauling loads of stuff out to the trash and thrift store.  I'm determined to have a yard sale this year.    It must happen. 

Bawndoh

My parents are really bad for this too.  Mom has had many relatives who have passed on and left their "stuff" to her.  It is truely that...stuff.  Anyhow, she finds it difficult to throw any of it away, as she must have a feeling that the ones who passed are going to give her a slap in her sleep or something.  I tell her....."do you really think they want you to be fretting over what to do with their plates, and cutlery, and clothing, and furniture?"  I am sure they just want you to think of them every once in a while, not just dwell on all their "stuff" they left to you.  Anyhow, they too, have the issue with books and magazines and catalagues.  Growing up with them I caught onto their habit quite easily.  Now that I have moved out, graduated college, and bought my own home, things are different.  I still have boxes of....well crap really, that I packed up and stored away.  I opened a box last weekend, that had stuff in it from 4 years ago.  Let me tell you, I could have burned the box and never have known or cared what was in it.  If I havent needed it in 4 years, I will not need it in the next 4 years.  It is amazing all the "stuff" a person can accumulate.
Now Red, if you ARE looking for a way to downsize.  I would give you the suggestion to...well....scrapbook.  Look through the old catalagues, mags, and whatnot.  Cut out articles, photos, lot numbers of cattle that you just CANNOT part with.  Glue them into a book of some kind, and throw the rest of the stuff away.  I understand that there are some old ledgendary ad's or sale books that have some pretty cool stuff in them.  If you can bring yourself to cut out and save.  It will decrease the amount of overall paper in your office.  You will start fresh in a way, and you can start collecting in the next 10 years again!!  (clapping) (clapping).

knabe

you are not a pack rat until you start collecting all the pack rat stuff from the rest of the people in your family.

i just got my grandmother's mystery clock from the 60's.

http://www.roger-russell.com/mysteryclocks/mysteryclocks.htm

she had the "gold" plated one.

and just for fun, my cousin's husband is now drilling for oil for goober's.  the boss's name is peanut.

red

I threw out 2 huge garbage bags plus stacks of old computer programs that I don't use anymore.
Afraid to say I kept all the magizines though. Never know when I'll need them!  ;)

Red

fluffer

I boxed up a bunch of stuff and put it in the basement.  Then a couple of days ago I took it to my Sister in laws for a garage sale.  There were things in there I wanted to keep- but forced myself to get rid of.  I would only allow myself to bring home 1 box of unsold items.  Everythign else when to charity.  Don't know what they will be doing with my college books  ;)

Fluffer

ELBEE

I have a thing for "ink pens", have no idea why! Can't stop myself from sticking a"promotional" one in my pocket. Most don't even get used before they're dried up.

Interesting comment our Pastor made couple weeks back, he said, "I don't ever recall seeing a hearse pulling a U-haul!"

red

ELBEE said:
I have a thing for "ink pens", have no idea why! Can't stop myself from sticking a"promotional" one in my pocket. Most don't even get used before they're dried up.

Interesting comment our Pastor made couple weeks back, he said, "I don't ever recall seeing a hearse pulling a U-haul!"

they always say you can't take it w/ you!

Have finished Killer's room. Boy, there was enough fur to make another cat!
Hubby was in shock over office!

Red  (lol)

kanshow

Packrat's Anon needs to establish a karma system - say one point for each bag that leaves the house or barn!

red

your corgi is beautiful!

Woody's blowing out his hair again. We rode w/ the hubby yesterday & his pickup was cover in dog fur.

Red  (dog)

Latest posts