Another implant question...

Help Support Steer Planet:

shufly

Let me start by saying I am new to implants. There are several threads on here about implants and several opinions on when and what to give.  What are people's thoughts about giving a calf a mild or less aggressive implant, like ralgro, now for a boost with the spring shows and then a stronger or more aggressive implant, like Revalor S, about 30 days prior to the terminal show???  Both calves I am thinking about using these on are very structurally sound, deep ribbed, easy feeding kind of steers.

texas111

sounds good.  you might experiment on the two of them, giving them each a diferent dose. ex ralgro both on one and revlar ad ralgro on the other. your choice.  good luck with em

Silver

I wouldn't mess around with a double dose. I would just use the revavlor s earlier. In my experience ralgro is junk.

shufly

Silver said:
I wouldn't mess around with a double dose. I would just use the revavlor s earlier. In my experience ralgro is junk.

From what I have read in other posts, people say to make sure the calves are fat before giving Revalor and give it only within 30-45 days from the terminal show.  Doesn't that imply not to give it to calves that are less than a year???

shufly

If ralgro isn't any good what about Synovex S right now?  These are march born steers.  Then the Revalor S & Optaflexx about 30-45 days prior to the terminal show in Aug????

Silver

synovex is definitely a step up from ralgro, I would be careful not to get too implant happy.

kobo_ranch

while on this subject... what exactly do the implants do to a already fat steer... and do you do more than one implant?

Silver

Here's another idea just give them some revalor xs. Its time released and improves efficiency for like 200 day or something insane like that. Its still formulated for steers fed in confinement too. I've seen feedlot calves that kids have taken for steers that had got 2 rounds of ralgro while they had been in the feedlot and talk about a weird looking tailhead, so be careful.