Another pair of eyes......

Help Support Steer Planet:

Coach BDawg

Daughters showing for the second year. She/we have learned a lot about the show world over these 2 years. Much different than just raising cattle.
Steer this year is currently at 1100 lbs and we have 60 days till show.
Steer is a Charolais/Angus/Beefmaster. Please take a look at these photos and critique. I know it's not like putting hands on but sometimes another set of eyes are good. Currently putting on 3.2 lbs per day.should put him between 1350 and 1400 at fair.

Attachments

• IMG_20230204_093639385_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230204_093639385_HDR.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 39

mark tenenbaum

He seems to have alot of gas left in the tank so hes going to have maybe a green look. Seems strong in his loin and lower quarter. and some rib shape. Id try and make him a little deeper in his flank if hes got a little hair there and on his stifle. Having some beefmaster he will have a little leather but if hes got some base width and moves out ok on those front wheels hes a pretty good steer to me. Make him look as wide as you can if it isnt a mandantory slick deal

Coach BDawg

He seems to have alot of gas left in the tank so hes going to have maybe a green look. Seems strong in his loin and lower quarter. and some rib shape. Id try and make him a little deeper in his flank if hes got a little hair there and on his stifle. Having some beefmaster he will have a little leather but if hes got some base width and moves out ok on those front wheels hes a pretty good steer to me. Make him look as wide as you can if it isnt a mandantory slick deal
We have him on a walking routine from now to fair trying to build the muscle definition. He will also be trimmed before fair. Hard to compete with the fluffy steers that everyone seams to go to but we will try to show off his size. He is close to 5' at his back.
Thanks for the input.

vc

I agree he has plenty of room to fill into, I am a little suspect of your math 1100 plus 185 puts him at around 1285, I would put him on stabilized rice bran, add 2 pounds a day to his feed, it will help add finish. I would also start working the hair he has, up and forward at a 45% angle. Even if he does not have a lot of hair, worked hair with a little pop gives them a fresher more youthful appearance. Hoof trimming wont hurt him either, just have done it well be for show so he is not tender footed at the show

Coach BDawg

I agree he has plenty of room to fill into, I am a little suspect of your math 1100 plus 185 puts him at around 1285, I would put him on stabilized rice bran, add 2 pounds a day to his feed, it will help add finish. I would also start working the hair he has, up and forward at a 45% angle. Even if he does not have a lot of hair, worked hair with a little pop gives them a fresher more youthful appearance. Hoof trimming wont hurt him either, just have done it well be for show so he is not tender footed at the show
Thanks for the input. We were on the way to have hooves trimmed that morning. We weighted him at 1134. Over the span of the project he has averaged 3.25 x 65 days left puts him gaining another 211. Final weight at 1345. Over the past 30 days he was actually gaining 4.25 lbs per day. Biggest concern is to get the flank to drop and the brisket more full. Walking him 1 mile per day for muscle development and definition.

vc

We never walked our like you would a hog, just worked on what you would do in the ring, and tied them with their head up for an hour or so to build up their endurance for standing in the chute and then the ring. By walking him you are burning off the fat you are trying to put on him. We had real good luck with honors ultra full to help drop the flank, I posted pictures of a steer first picture is in April, second is July you can see the change.

Attachments

• IMG_4900.jpg
    IMG_4900.jpg
    507.3 KB · Views: 18
  • Blake GC 1.jpg
    Blake GC 1.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 18

Coach BDawg

We never walked our like you would a hog, just worked on what you would do in the ring, and tied them with their head up for an hour or so to build up their endurance for standing in the chute and then the ring. By walking him you are burning off the fat you are trying to put on him. We had real good luck with honors ultra full to help drop the flank, I posted pictures of a steer first picture is in April, second is July you can see the change.
First pic is Jan 9. Second is Feb 4. 110 lb increase in weight. Third pic is of last year's steer.
We didn't walk ours much last year and got deducted for not enough muscle. So we have been instructed to walk more. He has plenty of fat so not worried to much about that. Last year's steer was 1038 with .58 back fat.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230210-215003.png
    Screenshot_20230210-215003.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20230210-215423.png
    Screenshot_20230210-215423.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 18
  • Screenshot_20230210-220534.png
    Screenshot_20230210-220534.png
    869.8 KB · Views: 18

Coach BDawg

I wanted to give an update. We are 1 week out. Taped Waylon this past Saturday and came in at 1300 lbs. Still have to clip him but we are pretty pleased with the final product. What do y'all think?

Attachments

• IMG_20230403_093456734_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20230403_093456734_HDR.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 19