Anxious steer?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Ohioteerchick

When we walk one of our steers across the yard to be worked with, he walks perfectly fine. But when we walk him back towards the barn, he tries to walk fast like hes in a hurry to get there, and when we make it to the door, he practically drags me through, and straight to his pen. He does a great job walking and is well behaved any other time, its just walking him to the barn. Anybody have a solution to this problem? I just dont want this to get any worse.

vc

Change your routine, go back to the barn on a round about path, tie him for awhile before you get to his pen, try different things every time so he does not get to go back to his pen right away. We would tie them up if they acted up, if he does not walk properly tie him with his head up to the nearest object (make sure it is safe) if be behaves when you untie him he gets to go to the pen if not he gets tied up again, takes time but they learn.

RankeCattleCo

I'll share my similar story-
We have two heifers in a horse barn, rougly 102 x 75 ft., with 125 ft. x 50 ft. being a sand walking arena. Anyway- the barn is lined w/ horse stalls on either side except for about 35 ft on one end w/ open space on one side and an area that had nothing on the other that we converted to a heifer pen w/ the help of some gates.  The end horse stall wasn't occupied so we put our chute w/ the blower combs sheen clippers etc., so everyday we walk them down there to blow out all the dust and put in the sheen.  They are halter broke- we can walk up and easily catch them, tie them, pet them and what not, but aren't quite broke to walk.  I know, kinda sad, but it's getting better.  To walk them down we have to have someone behind them tailing them, and we eventually have been getting better.  On the way back on the other hand- It's like there shot out of a cannon, sthey can't wait to get back.  I always walk backwards (Like with a dairy heifer) and stand right in front of their line of sight and push back on the halter whenever they try to run.  It maybe doesn't help that they get fed immediatly after this, but what I do is stand immediatly outside the pen gate once we get down there and scratch with the stick- at first they were fidgety and were sliding back and forth but they hate the showstick on there feet so they stopped that.  After I scratch for a while I walk in the pen and do the same for the same amount of time.  They've gotte alot better at not running now.  My suggestion for you- Walk backwards to stop him and once in the pen work with him for some time so he knows that he realizes the pen isn't a play pen.  If he isn't free in the pen, he won;t be as ancious to get back there.  Let me know if this works.

Ryan

willow

I am guessing you have never had a "barn sour" horse, or if you have it is the same problem you are having with your steer.  He thinks his work is done when he turns back for the barn and he is just getting in a hurry to be lazy.  You just have to out smart him.  Don't let him think that every time you walk him back to the barn that the work is done and he gets to go home.  The only way to do that is to break the routine.  Good luck!