any advice

Help Support Steer Planet:

alwayssecond

So I am working on getting my steers clean but I have washed them quite a few times and I can't get the caked on stuff off of them. Does anyone have and idea how to get it off without using a cury comb?

Dusty

You can try using a power washer, that can work pretty well sometimes...

red

(welcome) alwayssecond!

I put the soap on directly. do dilute w/ water. Let it sit for a couple of minutes. Then using a really heavy comb ( horse people have these plastic combs) I comb it out. seems to work real well for me. rinse throughly.

Red

CAB

Prewashed a bunch of hogs with Go-Jo. Rub it in and let it sit 20-30 minutes, then wash regularly, condition afterwards. Good Luck &  welcome.

ShowmanQ

You can soak the spots with purple oil. Loosens the manure and doesnt harm the hair. If the spots are really bad you will soak it and let it sit for about 10 minutes, try to comb through, and if necessary go again in the same manner. Has worked really well for us.

red

ba said:
Crop or vegi oil soak couple days soak with water and soap

then use something like dawn to get out oil or corn starch to absorb it.

Red

KCK

Don't forget the showman's best friend, the good old rice root brush. Bucket of soapy water, soaking wet rice root and scrub, scrub, scub.

showgirl2010

red said:
(welcome)  KCK!

Hard work never hurt anyone!

Red

boy, dont I know.  Been doing that for the past two days.  But I love it. ;D  Silly critters just have to stay clean...

Jamie

cowz

We had some mudballs of biblical proportions this spring.....this is what I did, but be very careful...has to be on a tame one or in a chute.  I soaked the mud balls for about 15 minutes with hot water and dawn.  I used leather gloves and a pocket knife to very carefully open up the big mud balls.  then soak them from the "inside out".  They will then disintegrate with more warm water. 

I'm not recommending that kids do this, but is what we had to do with some gargantuan mud balls this spring.

Jill

We had one that was really bad, we coated him with baby oil with vit. E and aloe let it soak overnight and washed him the next morning, that has worked the best of anything we have ever tried.

showgirl2010

How do you get dander out?  I know washing helps but are there certain products you guys use or any tips?

Jamie

alwayssecond

I have been told to use conditioner to put the natural oils back into their hair and that is supposed to help with the dander problem!

shortyjock89

showgirl2010 said:
How do you get dander out?  I know washing helps but are there certain products you guys use or any tips?

Jamie

That classic Kleen Sheen/Vinegar mix will help out, and coupled with a smart use of Revive, you can take care of dandruff and hard hair in no time.

doubled

showgirl2010 said:

Jamie

Maine and Tail work wonders, be sure to rinse,
Suave lavendar is also a good conditione

red

showgirl2010 said:

Jamie

don't use soap everytime you wash. Also use either vinegar or Double Dip to get the soap residue out. Make sure you rinse them completely. also use a conditionor daily.

Red