Any Knowledge Of What Kind Of Heifers Bart Stover and/or Rusty Turner Likes?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Sambosu

Well, I have been told by some folks that showed cattle for a long time that I need to start doing some research on judges prior to going to a show.  Unfortunately, the past couple of shows I have taken my kids to proved them right.  The heifers my kids show are very thick, big boned, big and square hipped, deep bodied, heavy bred and move pretty well for heifers that will calve in the next 45 and 90 days.   I am thinking about going to the show in Ada Oklahoma this Saturday and the judges are Bart Stover and Rusty Turner.  Does anyone have any knowledge of what kind of heifers they like?  If you know what type of heifer he likes, please let me know. Thanks.

Attachments

• 69a.jpg
    69a.jpg
    185.8 KB · Views: 287
  • 75.jpg
    75.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 251
  • 71a.jpg
    71a.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 259

DLD

Don't know anything about Rusty Turner, but I think Bart should appreciate your heifers. 

okiegirl

I tried to google Turner yesterday and couldn't find anything on him.  We are headed to Ada for the steer show Sunday.  our daughter will be there for showmanship on Sat.  Are you going to Tishomingo and Durant the next weekend?  We just got a flyer in the mail today.  Good luck this weekend maybe we will see you there.

Rhj

Rusty Turner- not after anything really extreme.  Certainly doesn't have to be the most powerfull, but he will use the most complete calf he can find.

AAOK

Sambosu said:
Well, I have been told by some folks that showed cattle for a long time that I need to start doing some research on judges prior to going to a show.  Unfortunately, the past couple of shows I have taken my kids to proved them right.  The heifers my kids show are very thick, big boned, big and square hipped, deep bodied, heavy bred and move pretty well for heifers that will calve in the next 45 and 90 days.   I am thinking about going to the show in Ada Oklahoma this Saturday and the judges are Bart Stover and Rusty Turner.  Does anyone have any knowledge of what kind of heifers they like?  If you know what type of heifer he likes, please let me know. Thanks.

Come on down. We have a great facility in Ada, if the promoters of this Show explain exactly how they want the Ring and Make-up area. I had hoped to come watch, but my wife has other plans for me this Saturday.

For any Okies who reside in the 24 Counties of SE Oklahoma, please plan to attend the annual Southeast Oklahoma Beef Expo February 8 & 9  in Ada at the Pontotoc County Agri-Plex. Friday Night Under The Lights will be a Free Hamburger feed, Feed & Grooming clinic with Bob May & a Team Fitting Contest with over $1000 in prizes.  Saturday is the Steer and Heifer Show -  100% Payback of entries and over $5000 extra money. All Breed Champs get Jackets.

okiegirl

Who is judging this year?  And will heifers show first?  I'm sure we will be there, just hope it's not at cold this year, lol.

Come on down. We have a great facility in Ada, if the promoters of this Show explain exactly how they want the Ring and Make-up area. I had hoped to come watch, but my wife has other plans for me this Saturday.

For any Okies who reside in the 24 Counties of SE Oklahoma, please plan to attend the annual Southeast Oklahoma Beef Expo February 8 & 9  in Ada at the Pontotoc County Agri-Plex. Friday Night Under The Lights will be a Free Hamburger feed, Feed & Grooming clinic with Bob May & a Team Fitting Contest with over $1000 in prizes.  Saturday is the Steer and Heifer Show -  100% Payback of entries and over $5000 extra money. All Breed Champs get Jackets.

[/quote]

Sambosu

Okie Girl, we won't go to Durant or Tishamingo the weekend after next because I think I need to give my kids heifers a break from showing so they are ready for their two district shows the first two weekends of February.  Good luck with your steers. Are they prospects or market steers? We haven't decided if we will take our prospect to Ada yet because I don't know if I can find someone to clip him up.  He has tons of hair right now.  The kids that help us went home for the holidays and won't be back until they have to report back to college. 

okiegirl

We have two prospects, a Maine and a Cross.  Our Schedule looks like: Tishomingo, Durant, off a weekend, Wilbuton, Beauty Pageant (daughter likes to multitask) and then Ada.  We took the last two weekends off because our college daughters were home, but before that we had been on the road 3 weekends.  Hope to see you at a show!

AAOK

okiegirl said:
Who is judging this year?  And will heifers show first?  I'm sure we will be there, just hope it's not at cold this year, lol.
[/quote]
Jara Settles, Topeka, KS is Judging our Beef Expo.  She was showing Maine- Anjou calves at the National level by the age of about 6 or 7.  I'll be working the ring again to keep her honest, Ha!

chambero

When you have time to go to a show, go.  You can overthink the judge preference thing very easily.  It depends on more on what competeition shows up at prospect shows than it does what the judges like/don't like. 

Those kinds of decisions play into what steer we'll take to a particular major terminal show, but even then its more about the calf and when they are ready than it is the judge.

At prospect shows you can take as many as you want anyway.

AAOK

Sambosu said:
Okie Girl, we won't go to Durant or Tishamingo the weekend after next because I think I need to give my kids heifers a break from showing so they are ready for their two district shows the first two weekends of February.  Good luck with your steers. Are they prospects or market steers? We haven't decided if we will take our prospect to Ada yet because I don't know if I can find someone to clip him up.  He has tons of hair right now.  The kids that help us went home for the holidays and won't be back until they have to report back to college. 

I can't believe you said that!  If you're going to show, make it a family project, and do it yourself.  What does it teach a child when others do all the work?

Sambosu

AAOK, not sure I understand your disgust with my comment.  My kids take care of their animals, do all the work at home and at the shows except for clipping.  They are only 9 and 11 years old so I let them do the washing, blowing out, etc with assistance from me, their father.  I wouldn't expect anyones child at that age to clip their own calves.   

Sambosu

AAOK, I need to say something else.  The individuals I have clip my kids calves are kids as well (teenagers actually and not your typical fitters for hire).  They go to a local college and can no longer show (excluding open shows).  I am glad to give them a chance to keep improving their cattle skills, stay in touch with the cattle business, and maybe even keep them out of trouble by having them spend time with my family on weekends instead of just hanging out.. 

AAOK

Sambosu said:
AAOK, I need to say something else.  The individuals I have clip my kids calves are kids as well (teenagers actually and not your typical fitters for hire).  They go to a local college and can no longer show (excluding open shows).  I am glad to give them a chance to keep improving their cattle skills, stay in touch with the cattle business, and maybe even keep them out of trouble by having them spend time with my family on weekends instead of just hanging out.. 

My Bad!  Please except my apology.  Pride can be both a good thing, and a bad thing. Mine got in the way of common sense on that post.