Any one Good With PhotoShop???

Help Support Steer Planet:

Status
Not open for further replies.

inthebarnagain

ShowmanQ said:
TheTruth said:
Doc said:
  TheTruth, you know , no one was suggesting anything deceptive until you brought it up. So the question is "Do guilty dogs always bark first?"

Funny you would say that.  It would seem that "guilty dogs" get upset (bark) when they are called out for using dirty genetics. 

Tell me Doc.  Have you got something to hide?  Considering none of this has been aimed at you directly, you sure seem to get on the offense and "bark" anytime I make a comment about TH and PHA. 

Okay here I go...
THE TRUTH,
Lay off!!! surely I am not the only one who has noticed that you only post on the threads which are controversial or argumentative. You only seem to have opininons that are contrary to everyone elses. Please let people raise the cattle they are comfortable raising, have their own opinions on what is good/bad, and respect the fact that the industry is made up of many different types of cattle to adhere to the many facets of the markets. If you do not like the cattle/genetics someone else is raising...DO NOT BUY THEM!!!! Quit making everything an argument. this thread was not even about altering pics, let alone TH/PHA. Are you kidding me???

I apologize to all for being so out of character

(clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)
I couldn't have said it better myself Showman, BRAVO!!

The Truth, could you do us a favor and tell us what medication you decided to stop taking this week for these wild rants to happen.  I want to make sure if I am ever prescribed it, I don't go off myself.

RSC

I was hesitant to ask for help in the first place as I did not want to draw any attention to myself or our sale cattle.  I was also very hesitant in make a reply to this discussion but now that this thread has taken on a life of it's own I thought what the heck.  I maybe should have just got the checkbook and purchased the software myself and not brought on so much attention.  This is a great place for people to help each other and we all need to try and keep it that way.

Does taking off halters misrepresent the cattle? IMHO, absolutely not.  That same pose could be grabbed in a natural setting if you had the following 3 ingredients:  1. A lot of time 2. A heck of alot of luck 3. A bucket load of patience between Husband and Wife.  I need good photos so that people will see the cattle we have and want to come take a look and get to know our opperation.  I don't posess to much of 1, 2, or 3 so I thought why not use technology to get what I want.

Let's all do our best to keep this site the great place to help each other do what we enjoy!

RSC

Cowboy

Tell ya what folks, I know Tony personally, and there would be NO way he would EVER intentionaly cheat or do anything unethical - period.

I see this post as a simple request for some easy help -- instead it turned into a chance for some to bash a perfectly GOOD guy, and his good cattle. Tony and his family are hard working ranching folks, they are raising some really good cattle "AND" some up and coming fine young men besides.

Personaly -- I see absolutely no problem taking off a halter if that is all that is done. It would have never been there to start with if - as Tony said -- he had a few more hundred hours of patience and a basket full of four leaf clovers.

For those that stuck up for Tony -- good for you -- for those that didn't - --  give the guy some credit. You don't know them, I do, and they are fine people! There never was any intent to misrepresent his cattle -- that is all there is too it!

Have a great day all -- it is a beautiful time of year -- let's go enjoy it!

See you all in Iowa --  (thumbsup)

Terry

justintime

I probably should not even respond here. I have started a response two or three times, and then quit. It was still on my mind when I was doing chores this morning,so here I am opening my big mouth again, and probably going to cause myself more trouble.

First of all, if you go back to the original posting, it says... " just  wondering if anyone would be willing to take halters out of some pictures for me".  A simple enough request in my mind. He did not request someone to make my cattle look thicker, deeper or cleaner fronted. His request was simple and precise. Is taking the halters out of the pictures deceiving?  ABSOLUTELY NOT !!!!! I have been sitting here wondering how this thread got hijacked to where it ended up.

Advertising and promotion is extremely important  in our business, just as it is in any other business.It has always been important and always will be important.Image and perception is sometimes everything. This is  true whether it be Kelloggs Corn Flakes or animals that carry certain prefixes on their names. This is nothing  new... and it was the same 50 years ago, just as it is today. This is not to say this is right, but it is reality. I may not agree with some of the things some people do to promote their cattle, but if it works, i have to commend them for " making it happen".  

So if using Photshop is a " forbidden" tool, does this mean it is also wrong to wash and clip an animal before taking a picture. Does this mean that it is wrong to put some extra weight on animals before you take pictures? Animals in good condition always look better than thinner animals or animals in ordinary pasture condition for that matter. The answer in my opinion is NO to all of the above. No shop keeper would put a display in their store , that did not present the product in it's best light. The same should be true in our business. I may be a hobby to some people, but it is a business as well. Big Business in fact.  

I will agree that some people take the photoshop editing to an extreme. I don't like it when you are wondering if the animal looks anything like it's picture. At the same time, I personally do not think that photo editing  today is anywhere close to what was done in the 50s and 60s. I would suggest that The Truth take a look at any breed magazine from the 50s and 60s and you will see almost all bulls are pictured belly deep in straw, and very obvious photo painting to straighten out their backs, add big butts to them, and a painted on fluffy tail. I will guarantee you that these cattle did not even closely resemble their photos. Some breed magazines insisted that this be done in fact. My point is, that this is nothing new.

I think Photoshop technology is one of the best things to come along in a long time. I publish a breed magazine as well as raise my cattle, and I must say that it is sometimes quite amazing how much better an animal looks when we take an old building or a falling down fence out of the background of pictures advertisers send in for their ads. We have not even touched the animal, but by eliminating a bunch of junk, the animal also looks better. I see nothing wrong with this at all.

To The Truth, I understand where you are coming from, in regards to some issues that you respond to. Where I have a problem is that you seem to attack in your responses. Your anger at the world is very evident. I have a bunch of bad days as well, but not every day. If every day is bad for you I suggest you need to find another occupation. Life is far too short to live in the cloud that you seem to be in all the time. After reading some of your responses, I often wonder if the sky is ever blue in your world.

You will never win someone to your point of view by insulting people. For the most part, I think we show on this website ( Steerplanet) that we do not have to agree on many issues, and we show that we can learn from reading and reflecting on someone else's view points. There are a few on here, who seem to think that they can " win the war" by shocking others who read these threads. This never helps a discussion and only drives the viewpoints further apart. I am a big fan of this website because it is more than just another club calf or another cattle site for that matter. There is a human side to this site, which makes it better than any others I have found.  People come here various reasons. Some are looking for advice, and there are many on here who are great at helping others. There is a community on here, and while most of us have never met one another, we almost know each other. There is an incredible amount of support on here. Many times there are threads that are not cattle related, but they are life related. Personally I think this is a good thing. I for one, have no problem with someone who needs to deal with an issue, posting on here. I like to think that part of our lives on this planet should involve helping others, and not just trying to get ahead yourself and not caring about others around us.

To the Truth, I would suggest that you try to respond to some issues that you agree with, and try to do without peeing on someone else's parade.  You might even find that it makes you feel kinda nice when you support someone else's position or just make someone else feel a little better. If after a few tries at doing this, you find that insulting others makes you feel better.... well, I would suggest that it is time to pack your saddlebags and move on to a new town.

farwest

i agree, i have known tony longer than any poster on this board, and know his honesty, even though this thread u read in to  is not about him.    Whether it be good cattle or a good old kansas turkey hunt with the buddies, honesty and integrity will always be a part of it.  he he he.

farmboy

TheTruth said:
It seems when JIT speaks, everyone listens. 

I'm sure I will really get flamed for these next comments, because you are considered the "Cattle God" of this forum JIT.  Unlike most people, I am not afraid to go up against a big dog in the breed.  You have a cult like following on here JIT, and it seems nobody ever disagrees with you.  If JIT says so, then it's the gospel truth, and nobody else knows what they are talking about because they have not been in the business as long as JIT has nor do they have his popularity and reputation in the business. .....

how bout you do us all a favor and never post again.

My old man used to say if you dont like the way some s*** smells, quit sticking your nose in it

Zach Dixon South Webster, Ohio

shortyjock89

Hey, everyone, if The Truth says he has better cattle, how bout we let him SHOW us?  The Truth, if you have any pics of these cows of yours, I would sure like to see em.  I raise show cattle just like most people on here, but I can certainly appreciate good commercial cattle.  What are some of the bloodlines that you use?  Just for the record, a good amount of people on here raise cattle that do just fine in normal pastures, but I don't know how they would do in the most extreme conditions, good thing the whole country isnt on a rocky mountainside.....

JSchroeder

As for my personal life, you know nothing about me or my occupation based on my posts on a show cattle website.

Of course they don't.  It's the total anonymity of the web that allows a-holes like you to spew their hate filled rants with no consequences whatsoever.

If you were a real man, you'd post under your name and/or have a way to identify yourself.  However, you aren't a real man, you're a pathetic internet troll that is so starved for attention that you come to the Internet in search of it any way you can find it.

I would hesitate to post in this manner but this kind of reply is exactly what you want.  Even somebody attacking you fills that gaping hole in your heart because it means that for just a little while, even if it's just five minutes, somebody finally gave you the attention you yearn for.

steermomintx

zach said:
TheTruth said:
It seems when JIT speaks, everyone listens. 

I'm sure I will really get flamed for these next comments, because you are considered the "Cattle God" of this forum JIT.  Unlike most people, I am not afraid to go up against a big dog in the breed.  You have a cult like following on here JIT, and it seems nobody ever disagrees with you.  If JIT says so, then it's the gospel truth, and nobody else knows what they are talking about because they have not been in the business as long as JIT has nor do they have his popularity and reputation in the business. .....

how bout you do us all a favor and never post again.

My old man used to say if you dont like the way some s*** smells, quit sticking your nose in it

(clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping) (clapping)

I agree with Zach go somewhere else.  If you don't like the show cattle industry don't post on a show cattle board!!!!!

Doc

TheTruth said:
Doc said:
  TheTruth, you know , no one was suggesting anything deceptive until you brought it up. So the question is "Do guilty dogs always bark first?"

Funny you would say that.  It would seem that "guilty dogs" get upset (bark) when they are called out for using dirty genetics. 

Tell me Doc.  Have you got something to hide?  Considering none of this has been aimed at you directly, you sure seem to get on the offense and "bark" anytime I make a comment about TH and PHA. 

I have nothing to hide. I think if you look at  one of my other posts you'll see that I have a couple of carrier animals(not dirty genetics), carrier of an undesirable trait can mean a lot of things, one example I can think of offhand is horn vs polled. I have never hidden anything from anyone concerning TH & PHA. 2 of our bulls , NPS Improvers Stride & NPS Durango were in the initial test group concerning TH , luckily for us it worked out good & both are THF. As far as aimed at me I think the original post was asking about taking halters off, not doing something unethical. If you are good with Photoshop & wanted to help him out you should have said so & if you're like me & don't even have Photoshop & couldn't help him anyway then you should have stayed out of it , instead of questioning a man's integrity.
As far as attacking JIT goes. I don't know him from Adam but I'm looking forward to meeting him this weekend & I think you could learn something from him in tempering your words & NOT ripping apart every animal on here. I'm not saying he's right every time , but I learned a long time ago the diference between constructive criticism & petty jealousy & hate.
As far as what Zach said , I geuss all I can say is from the mouth of babes comes the truth. I think he speaking for the way a lot of us feel right now. I wish it hadn't gotten to this point & it shouldn't have either.

Mike Davis, Cottontown, TN

inthebarnagain

Doc said:
TheTruth said:
Doc said:

I have nothing to hide. I think if you look at  one of my other posts you'll see that I have a couple of carrier animals(not dirty genetics), carrier of an undesirable trait can mean a lot of things, one example I can think of offhand is horn vs polled. I have never hidden anything from anyone concerning TH & PHA. 2 of our bulls , NPS Improvers Stride & NPS Durango were in the initial test group concerning TH , luckily for us it worked out good & both are THF. As far as aimed at me I think the original post was asking about taking halters off, not doing something unethical. If you are good with Photoshop & wanted to help him out you should have said so & if you're like me & don't even have Photoshop & couldn't help him anyway then you should have stayed out of it , instead of questioning a man's integrity.
As far as attacking JIT goes. I don't know him from Adam but I'm looking forward to meeting him this weekend & I think you could learn something from him in tempering your words & NOT ripping apart every animal on here. I'm not saying he's right every time , but I learned a long time ago the diference between constructive criticism & petty jealousy & hate.
As far as what Zach said , I geuss all I can say is from the mouth of babes comes the truth. I think he speaking for the way a lot of us feel right now. I wish it hadn't gotten to this point & it shouldn't have either.

Mike Davis, Cottontown, TN

I agree, start your own blog, and see how many posters you get.  Something tells me not many.    Lisa Hall, Marysville Indiana. 

justintime

I normally would not respond to some of the comments The Truth posted in his last posting but I feel a few things need to be clarified.

Firstly. I doubt it very much that I have a cult like following on here or anywhere else! Give your head a shake!!! I am sure that anyone who knows me, and has read this remark, is rolling on the floor about now. Secondly, I am in many ways just like you Truth, in that I make my living from my cows and I am passionate about many issues concerning this business. Your remark about me always giving a politically correct approach, left me scratching my head as well. You obviously have not been on this website very long as it was me that was getting my fingers slapped by the administrators for some of my comments. I am just an ordinary member of this board, just like everyone else on here whether they have been in this business all their life or just just purchased their first cow 10 minutes ago. That said, i would appreciate it greatly if you would not refer to me being anything more than just another member of this board....  because that is exactly what I am .... nothing more..... nothing less.

If you think back to some of my comments about what you have posted, you should notice that I took issue with your message of " every animal from a certain line is bad and destroying the breed" That was what I took issue with. I was not trying to be politically correct in any way. I simply believe that it is DEAD WRONG to lump all cattle from any lineage as being bad for your herd, for the breed or for anyone else. You have made an issue about some bloodlines , that are very popular today, and I have only said that you cannot lump them all in the same basket. As I said before, some will not work... but some will work anywhere.  I have sold some Trump grandsons to a large ranch that is on the edge of wilderness, and it is as rugged and mountainous as anyplace I can think of, and this rancher loves them. I am only saying this to point out why I have taken issue with your blanket approach in trying to trash an entire bloodline. I made my comments simply because I did not agree with this approach, and NOT because I was trying to please anyone.

I am not trying to pick a fight with you or anyone else. Like I said at the start of my last post, I could have decided to not post on this topic and, I did just that a few times  before I did post it. But I am a bit like you, in that I am not afraid to post when I see something I disagree with. In this case, I disagreed with you and with the way you posted. My issue is not so much with what you believe, but with how you present your beliefs. Some of your posts are borderline rude, and insulting. That is my real issue. As far as the cattle you like, that is totally your right and your choice. I applaud you for raising what you believe in, and if you are able to feed your family and pay your bills, who am I to say what you should be raising. If you want to raise pink striped cows, I could care less. Just let the rest of the world do the same.

As I have mentioned to you previously, we all have our own reasons why we raise the cattle we do. Quite frankly, the reasons shouldn't matter to anyone but to the people themselves. This said, if someone wants to raise a few cattle for the kids  to show on weekends , more power to them. This has really nothing to do with you or me raising our cattle. If doesn't affect you in any way as you have said many times that you have no use for the show ring. If it doesn't affect you, I don't think it should  be of any issue to the way you raise your commercial herd.

Finally, I will just say that I am not trying to be a therapist to you or anyone else. I simply stated that in virtually each and every post you have put on here lately, you come across as a very angry man. I am not the only one who has seen this or thought this. You are probably as well adjusted as anyone else, however, you do not come across that way. I am certainly not against disagreement on any issue but I do believe that there is a proper manner and respect that is needed for good debate. I will be the first to admit that I do cross that line occasionally, but it usually only when I get on a topic that is very passionate to me.

I will not apologize to you or anyone else for how I care for this business and how I respond to issues in this business. I also have strong beliefs and I can appreciate that do as well. Where we differ, in my opinion, is in how we portray these beliefs to others. While I may think someone is wrong in their opinions about something, I still respect their right to decide on their own beliefs. I will tell them I do not agree with them and will do my best to lay out my opinions for them to think about. You see to come across in a way that say " I am right and everyone else is wrong" Even you screen name suggests that ( The Truth).  

I have said more than enough. I just felt that I could not just sit back and not comment after some of these statements. I would appreciate it greatly if you never refer to me as being anything but what I am, that being, an ordinary guy who raises cows for a living. I am  nothing more than an average joe who believes that people should be treated with respect.

red

OK all! I had planned on taking the rest of the week off to rest but this thread has gotten way out of hand.
I've always stressed that personal attacks have no place here. I'm speaking to all not just one or two people.
Please don't make Red have to come & slap hands w/ a ruler.

The original post has gotten way of track. I doubt that RSC never dreamed this would take the turn it has.
I'm not a Mary Sunshine & believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion until it becomes a personal attack.  <party> Then we just need to back off & take some deep breathes.

Red aka Cathy Billenstein

PS- JIT- are white robes & kool-aid part of your cult?  ;)

Simmymom1

red said:
OK all! I had planned on taking the rest of the week off to rest but this thread has gotten way out of hand.
I've always stressed that personal attacks have no place here. I'm speaking to all not just one or two people.
Please don't make Red have to come & slap hands w/ a ruler.

The original post has gotten way of track. I doubt that RSC never dreamed this would take the turn it has.
I'm not a Mary Sunshine & believe that everyone is entitled to their opinion until it becomes a personal attack.  <party> Then we just need to back off & take some deep breathes.

Red aka Cathy Billenstein

PS- JIT- are white robes & kool-aid part of your cult?  ;)

YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE RESTING!!!!  (angel) (angel)  We all want you to get well, so please go back and rest.  Lisa

justintime

One of the main reasons I hesitated to respond on this thread is because I knew what I had to say may upset Red. Now I have gone and done it and I must apologize. Red I am so sorry that you felt that you needed to respond. I promise that I will not respond again on this topic. Hope your recovery is quick.

How can I ever make this up to Red? I know, I will give her honorary membership in my cult, if she promises to bring kool-aid to the meetings ( grape preferred). white robes will be provided free of charge. You will be Member #1..... I doubt if there will ever be any more, so the meetings should be short. Get well soon

Doc

Well , I'll take #3 if it's not taken. I don't mind the grape flavor kool-aid, but won't we get docked for wearing white robes ? Shouldn't they be black?

farmboy

Something interesting i find in your post...

for someone who has never showed/never showed there own animals/has no interest in the show ring... you seem to know alot about the way it works and how the name game gets played?

and how does this go from taking a few halters off to "Shorthorn : Clubby vs. Commercial" i have showed clubby animals before, maines shorthorns chis whatever, every heifer me or my brother has ever showed is out in the feild right now, no corn, just good ol grass, most of our pasture is on a hillside. They all made it through the winter, even without hay in january. Clubby does not mean cripple, does not mean just a big furball, does not mean cannot survive without corn.

Status
Not open for further replies.