Help Support Steer Planet:

Any Roping Horses for sale????

• In Kansas Oklahoma,or Missouri

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • Under $1000

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Heads,Heels,Tie-Down,Break-Away.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no, but I know where there are some draft horses!

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

brahmerboy

Does any one have a Roping Horse from the age of 8-18? ??? This horse needs to be able to Head,Heel,Tie-Down,and/or Break-Away??? And needing Roping steers or calves :)))

From Brahmerboy

red

ELBEE said:
Better up the ante about 2000!

Not to sound stupid but what does a roping horse typically bring? :)))
We have a junior rodeo group in Ohio but not a lot of roping horses. My future niece in-law does barrel racing. Are thet similar types of horses?
As you can see, I'm fairly ignorant about the types of horses. I sold feed for years but never really got into the whole thing. I really got my eyes open whenever I went to the Quarter Horse Congress in Columbus. Wow, Million $ Stallion Alley was something!

Red

ELBEE

You'll have to find somebody down on their luck to get a roper bought for 3000. Most guys wouldn't part with theirs for any price. A young well trained roper will bring from 5000 up. Same for barrel racers.

And no, ropers and barrel racers are about as genetically different as a club steer with spastic paresis, and a Santa Gertrudis heifer.

Barrel Racer

A good solid roping horse (not PRCA quality) around here will bring 5,000-10,000. PRCA roping horse will run you 15,000-25,000 one good enough for circuit finals.  You can buy the practice horses that are half crippled from the rodeo guys halfway cheap, but you need to be able to take care of them, and be willing to spend the money for vet bills.  I think ELBEE is right you won't generally find a horse that does both well and if you do, better get out the pocketbook.  Barrel horses around here to get a decent one that will place you at jackpots here are at least 10,000.  If you want a horse to go run or rope with the big dogs, they are generally 50,000-100,000+ (I know that barrel horses at the NFR are over 100,000 if you go to buy one at that level).  You might check prorodeohorses.com they generally have a good selection of both roping horses and practice steers. 
To Red:  I would say there are characteristics that you want in both types, you want althleticism, quickness, sound mind, things like that.  Don't have roping horses, but for a barrel horse I want mostly race bred, maybe a tinge of cutting or cow in them.  Some racing lines make good barrel horses and some don't.  The mare in my picture is 100% race bred and was AAA.  She is bred to a AAA race stallion so we'll see what I get (only 10 more days until her due date (clapping)).  I have her booked to breed to Frenchmans Guy this year and he is known to throw excellent barrel horses as well as roping/cow horses. 

justme

The horse auction had a couple that were roped on in the Iowa assocation a month ago they seemed pretty sound and if my daughter would have been more experienced I would have nabbed one.  They brought $600 a piece.  Granted they weren't PRCA quality but they new how to do the job according to some guys sitting next to me

garybob

830-752-0449, and ask for Javier Villanueva. He manages a grow-out ( preconditioning) yard in Eagle Pass, TX. Met him while courting one of those l'il south TX sen`oras. They sometimes get fresh Corriente steers mixed in with a load of calves from across that" little creek" down there( that forms our southern border). Call him up and say "HOLA". Might even hook you up with some good calves to background or feed.Very economical gains due to extremely high compensatory gain.