Any tricks to get calves started on feed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

simbman

I have a student that picked up a calf last weekend.  She was supposed to be weaned and started on a feed ration, but breeder penned her the morning of.  I guess you can figure out what happened next.  Long story short the calf is not eating.  We have tried putting the feed on top of hay, but she kind of just picks at both.  Any ideas?

sue

Does the calf have a buddy? I like alot of the appetite stimulates on the market. I have suggested all of them to 4-H kids and they all seem to work .... but I have yet to see a calf not be tempted by winning fill? Plenty of support on this board ... good luck

lightnin4

We start with a little cheap sweet horse feed sometimes if we have a calf that's picky or just doesn't know to eat grain yet.  Once they start eating that good we gradually mix in the ration that we want them to eat with less and less of the sweet feed.

simmyman67

Sprinkle shredded beet pulp on top of its food. They LOVE it and it always works for me!

simbman

Thanks for your suggestions.  I will give them a try.  As always you guys are a great help.