Anybody on here burned by Eastern Livestock Mess or Have Friends that Were?

Help Support Steer Planet:

chambero

It's the biggest "old man discussion topic" in my part of the world.  For those that don't know, apparently they have written about $130 million in bad checks (at least that is how much is out there that people aren't getting paid for right now) to producers. Bonding capacity was apparently less than a million.

Just curious if this is affecting anyone on here and how do you go about working through something like that?

knabe

is this worse than pensions to government employees and the endless stream of unfunded liabilities to keep union employees on the dole?

Hoosier

This is a huge deal in my part of the world, being only about an hour from their headquarters.  My dad and I have always been on the buying end of dealing with Eastern and built a really strong working relationship with them over the last 10 years.  I don't personally know anyone who didn't get paid for cattle but there are several smaller commercial producers in the area that I know sold their feeders to Eastern.

CM Cattle

Its a big discussion topic around these parts. I know some friends who haulled cattle for eastern and haven't got paid.

firesweepranch

I teach college, and last semester one of my students wrote one of his papers about this; his grandpa has lost most of his money because they shipped cattle to them and never got paid. Really a sad story.

showsteerdlux

My neighbor at home operates a large video sale operation and they owe him right at $800,000. Lord knows when he will get anything. He has paid the producers from what i understand, but it can and probably will end up burning him.

DLD

I know a guy who was a buyer for Eastern.  He said that all of his clients were getting paid, and that it looks like he personally will end up losing around $30,000 - he considers himself really lucky that it's no more than that.