Anybody watch Oprah today?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Bawndoh

Wondering if anybody else saw the show today (Tuesday)?  She discussed cage free-versus free range laying hens, pregnang sows, and veal calves.  Also discussed proposition 2 in Claifornia and how it would affect producers.  I thought it was pretty well played.  It was more of an informative show, versus a discussion.  I have not been much of an Oprah fan lately, but she did good on this one.  I also didnt feel totally jipped as a cattleman, and thought that all the information, facts, and video footage was really good, and not one sided.

Rocky Hill Simmental

I watched it. It turned out much better than I thought it was going to. It seems that both sides got a chance to talk and give reasons. Nobody bashed each other too much so it seemed civil and informative.

farwest

there is no way i would watch anything on her show, she makes me want to vomit

Bawndoh

farwest said:
there is no way i would watch anything on her show, she makes me want to vomit

Hmm...i see.  Ha Ha.  I dont watch her much anymore.  She seems to be rather boring, and I dont care much about celebrities and their lives.  Just caught the preview of this show and figured I would see how badly us "hicks" were going to be portrayed.  She did well though.

Show Heifer

You may not like Oprah, but remember, the best way to defeat the enemy is to KNOW your enemy. Pretty hard to counterpunch when you don't know when or what to swing at.

knabe

isn't oprah like the high priestess of consumerism and excess, the very thing we will be forced to reduce, you know, because it's the right thing to do?

red

we have a new comic strip in the paper called Mutts. Thought some of the cartoons were a little slanted towards animal rights. Looked closer & there was a website listed as www.humanecalifornia.org. Very slippery way to throw out their message.

Red

knabe

i just lost two free range baby chicks over the weekend because they wandered.  imagine the stress when they died.  i guess i should be fined.

it would be useful if they would compete without subsidy of them or regulation of their competitors.  since they can't, they won't.  typical.

subsidies are bad.

red

red said:
we have a new comic strip in the paper called Mutts. Thought some of the cartoons were a little slanted towards animal rights. Looked closer & there was a website listed as www.humanecalifornia.org. Very slippery way to throw out their message.

Red

I am pleased to say that our newspaper pulled the comic. At least someone out there realizes that there was a hidden agenda in the strip.

Red

knabe

my wife watched this and the only point she made was.....

left out of the mighty instegator of excess, was the price of the two products.

"organic" or range chicken is easily twice the price in our neighborhood.  i guess the poor won't be buying that, unless it's uh, you know, subsidized, because it's the right thing to do.

there is no end to regulating an industry to raise it's costs so they are in line with the cost of religious chicken.  typical.

justme

If I free-ranged chickens around here...we'd have alot of happy fat coyotes!

knabe

justme said:
If I free-ranged chickens around here...we'd have alot of happy fat coyotes!

and then you couldn't kill them yourself, there would be a debate about a sterilization program, a herd reduction plan etc.

lost 8 of my best sitting hens to my neighbors new stupid jack russell terrier mix.  just shook them and tore them up.  don't know whether to claim damages or make it disappear when it comes back.  trap is set.