Anyone do agility courses w/ dogs?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Since Woody loves to jump, I was thinking of doing an agility course for him. Figured it would run off some energy & also help keep him at a good weight.  (dog)
Has anyone done this? What is the best way to start? What types of things should I set up for him?

Thanks, Red

kanshow

Watch out because agility is fun and addictive.      We've done agility with our corgis and they love it.     My corgi is trained by myself but I'm too much of a chicken to enter him at any trials(those reasons are probably worthy of a thread by itself!)   I did show him at a match and found out he's fast & he's good.     Personally, I'd find a class with my local kennel club and go thru that so you know how to teach the obstacles without injury to yourself or dog.    I would also leave the jumping out until he is fully mature mainly because that is the hardest on his young long backed body.  Both of our older kids have a corgi they show in 4H agility and they do ok.    

Training for agility is like training for anything..  make sure you some simple obedience ( ie the 'control' commands) before you start.  They are the 'come', 'down', and 'stay'.  Without those, you'll be chasing a maniac!    

red

manic- that descibes woody sometimes to a T!

Red  (clapping) (clapping) (dog) (dog)

kanshow

My daughter's dog got locked onto the tunnel at one class and he probably made 5 laps around the building and thru the tunnel before we tunnel trapped  him.  He was having a grand time!