Anyone from Wyoming

Help Support Steer Planet:

movinout

I have been reading on here for sometime now but have never had a reason to post until now.  I have recently accepted a position in Sheridan Wyoming and have decided to leave my few cows behind with my parents.  I was wondering if there was anyone on here that lives in that area that would be willing to let me help out from time to time to get my cattle fix.

chambero

Look on the Showsteers.com site for ranches in Wyoming.  I know there are some not terribly far from Sheridan.  I imagine folks are always looking for help, especially in that part of the world.

Sheridan is a great place.  We are actually going through there this summer on vacation.  I've hunted in the area several times.

cowz

You will not be far from the historic Padlock Ranch.  Most folks up there run commercial herds.  Other than Salers, I can't think of any show cattle in the area.  Call the U of Wyoming cooperative extension office for Sheridan County.  They can probably send you in the right direction.....or reel you in as a volunteer!!

dori36

movinout said:
I have been reading on here for sometime now but have never had a reason to post until now.  I have recently accepted a position in Sheridan Wyoming and have decided to leave my few cows behind with my parents.  I was wondering if there was anyone on here that lives in that area that would be willing to let me help out from time to time to get my cattle fix.

I lived in WY for 12 years, moving back here to Michigan in 2003, cattle in tow .....well in a semi, in tow!  You'll have no trouble finding cattle in WY!!!  It's a great place to have cattle and ranching is one of the 3 main industries there behind energy retrieval and tourism.  You might want to start a subscription to the Wyoming Livestock Roundup so you can get a feel for the industry there.  They're online at www.wylr.net.  You can also contact my good friend, Dr. Doug Hixon, Head of the Department of Animal Science at the University of Wyoming.  Tell him I sent you. (My 'real' name is  Dori Steckley).  The WY State Fair is Aug 9 -16 straight south down I-25 in Douglas. Lots of good cattle there!  You'll find many cattle ranchers near Sheridon particularly near Buffalo and Kaycee (Hole in the Wall country) as well as all the way south to Casper.  The neat thing about Wyoming is that it has such a small population (around 540,000 as I write this), that before long, you'll know everyone there!  I'm just a little jealous that you're relocating to such a gorgeous area.  Land/homes are a little pricey around Sheridan but the scenery is outstanding!  Best wishes on your move!

dori36

cowz said:
You will not be far from the historic Padlock Ranch.  Most folks up there run commercial herds.  Other than Salers, I can't think of any show cattle in the area.  Call the U of Wyoming cooperative extension office for Sheridan County.  They can probably send you in the right direction.....or reel you in as a volunteer!!

Go to www.padlockranch.com for info about them.  Looks like they're looking for some help.