Anyone going to the Madisonville, TX show?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Telos

I might try and go to this one if it's not too far. Still on vacation so that might be fun plus I can take my camera and maybe enter a picture of your baby.
Where is Madisonville? I'll have to look it up. Never heard of half of these places in TX. Maybe you can tell me what day she'll be showing.

Telos

It's a little over half way between where I live and Houston. Maybe a 2 & 1/2 hour drive. I might try and take a road trip,  but can't gaurantee anything.
Are weather, so far hasn't been too hot.  Heat plus humidity equals torcher!

NHR

We have showed there several times and it will be hot. The show grounds are located along I45 just north of Madisonville. You have to take the south bound frontage road north (2-way) and turn on the road next to a trailer manufacturing place. It is about a 1/4 mile down on the right. It's easy to get to.

We wont be going with our shorthorns because it is too hot. Well start showing alot again in September. In September we will bring out our Salute heifer and in November we will bring out our Kaboom heifer.

red

The red heifer got 4- 2nd places
Savannah got 2 grands & 2 reserves total. Great family to have sold my heifer to.
Hoping they are interested in her full sister.

NHR

red said:
Is anyone going to the show this weekend?

Red

We are going to Madisonville with Shorts on August 25th, Its time to begin the run for points. (clapping)

Our Houston Reserve Grand heifer will be there. I will be glad when she has her calf so we can start flushing.

sawboss

We went to Madisonville, Tx this past weekend and it was extremely hot!  I personally did not like having Ring "A" and "B" in the same show ring.  Ring "B" judge would sit and watch the outcome of Ring "A" and then judge the same cattle 20 feet away.  I guess he proved he was his own man to me though,  our Red Brangus heifer wins Reserve Breed Champion in Ring "A" and turns around in Ring "B" and places last in her class.  Oh well we are not chasing points anyway, but I felt like we were not given the benefit of the doubt because we don't run the TCCA circuit.  My oldest son was treated rudely by Judge in Ring "B" during his "Let's talk the cattle", as he informed him he was smoked by the heifer above him.  I hope others experience is better and good luck.

red

Wow, that is different! How do they usually handle the set-up of the rings? Where you pretty much showing at the same time?
Sorry it wasn't the best experience for you. I'm sure the heat didn't help either.
Best of luck next time out!

Red

NHR

There were 4 rings there on Saturday, who was the judge that placed your heifer low?

These were the judges that were supposed to be there:
Aug. 11-Milton Charanza and Billy Wayne Key
Aug. 11-Jacob Tipp and Ryan Cummins

NHR

red said:
Wow, that is different! How do they usually handle the set-up of the rings? Where you pretty much showing at the same time?
Sorry it wasn't the best experience for you. I'm sure the heat didn't help either.
Best of luck next time out!

Red

The jackpot shows that have an A & B ring, the rings are usually side by side divided by a rope or panels. Once one breed finishes in Ring A it moves to Ring B and starts. You can have the situation where the judge in ring b  gets to watch the judge in ring A if the judge in ring A is slow. When there are 4 rings in one location then 1 hour after the completion of Ring B the next show begins with 2 new judges. Most of the time the result is similar in both rings but I have seen the cattle judged exactly opposite between each ring depending on what type of cattle the judge raises. American breed cattle raisers struggle with English breeds and vice versa.

blackwellfarms

My daughter showed both shows in the Simmental and we were second in all four.  I did hear that the judge in the second ring of second show did place them different.  And it was hot.  Was going to go to the 25th show, will not if cooler.  I do not know who the judge was but in Ring A it was Ryan.

NHR

Ryan Cummins is a good judge, you can watch his placings and then watch the placings at the majors and he will be in the same ballpark. So with your statement then Jacob Tipp was in ring B?

blackwellfarms

I am not sure, we were cooling off at McDonald's when the show was starting and I did not ask.  I like Ryan also, I think mine was off one place but all four judges pick us second so maybe not.  Had a good turn out - about 70 + head.  Just hot.

sawboss

It was our first time out with heifers, so I may have expected too much too soon from our cattle.  I am trying to find that happy medium with our girls so that we can be competitive.  My oldest son's Maine-Anjou is a county scramble heifer, so I know we did not spend the amount of money others did who run the circuit.  The heifer that won his class looked too much like a steer to me.  Our Ag. Science teacher judges this circuit and wants ours to have a softer look, with more feminine features.  My youngest son has the Red Brangus heifer and has the whole package, we bought her after the Majors last year where she was Reserve Breed Champion in Houston.  I am not condemning the system, just new to the game and confused.  I know in Texas to play with the big boys, it is going to cost you so we better stay with the small local jackpot shows.  Next year we will be looking to add two new heifers so help us out and thanks for the feedback.

Latest posts