anyone shoot sporting clays?

Help Support Steer Planet:

frostback

I went with my husband and two buddies just to get out of the house and kept score while they shot sporting clays. It was really fun and they said I need to buy a gun. I am not a fan of guns out of pure ignorance as I did not grow up in a house with hunters or anything. My dad was a cop in Canada and gun rules are very different. I never even saw his gun for the 20 years he served. Ive only ever saw it when I was home for a visit a few years ago. Moving to a house where  there is a gun in the closet and under the bed was a big shock. My husband is safe and they are never loaded and the bullets and such are not stored in the same place and we have taught the kids to respect them but I still am wary. He has changed a few things he does for me so I am not so nervous. I guess my question is are there any women that do this or hunt? Any pointers if I chose to start. I only shot a BB gun for the first time this weekend. I will stay with that for a while but the clays do look like fun.

red

My sister-in-law hunts deer w/ her husband. I remember she was shooting them when she was pregnant.
I'm not a hunter. Used to like archery though.

Red

frostback

He has been trying to get me to go pheasant hunting for years but I do not like the thought of killing something. This is why this is different and I am thinking about it. By the way I am not saying anything against hunting its just not for me. Eat what you kill unless it is a prarie dog.

knabe

if i remember correctly, you are of the female perusasion.  i would ask a gun salesman for advice on a gun.
skeet is fun and great challenge with eye hand coordination and comradery building.
pretty soon you will be duck hunting.
pan frying duck medalllions is awesome (duck breast).

loveRedcows

Hi Frostback.  Grab your shotgun and go for it.  My husband and I spent many, many years shooting trap -- he also shot skeet but I couldn't get the timing down on it.  I actually got started out of self defense -- he was always at the gun club & I got tired of just watching...  I'm not a hunter -- don't have anything against it, just personally can't kill anything except bugs!  But I really enjoyed the trapshooting & actually won a few trophies.  Unfortunately old age caught up with me (reflexes & eyes are shot) so I did give it up.  Anyway, go for it girl.

mrs sawboss

Sporting clays is a wonderful hobby that you can do with your husband, friends, children, etc.  I have shot some with my family but am not very good at it.  Biggest piece of advice would be to get a gun that is not too big and powerful for you.  Otherwise it might kick so hard that you wouldn't want to shoot a shotgun anymore.  I shoot a Beretta 28 gauge and it is wonderful; virtually no kick at all.  As far as safety is concerned, shotsguns are not as intimidating as rifles.  When we shoot we must keep our guns breached and open with no shells allowed until we shoot.  Give it a try!!!!!!

farmboy

i went and shot clays 3 times, its been years ago, my first attempt was on a double, ...nailed it. i liked it till my shoulder was purple  (thumbsup)

a warning tho, my brother was standing a little close to the flinger thing and cut a big gash in his leg, not deep enoguh to really hurt just big you know,, be careful (angel)

chambero

Get a 20 guage semiautomatic.  The semi reduces the recoil dramatically.  The best ones out there are Benellis and Berettas, but American made ones are good also (Browning, Remington, etc).  My wife goes with me every once in a while, but she doesn't like to shoot much.  She went dove hunting with me one time, killed a bird on her first shot, and took early retirement.  She still goes with me and helps me keep up with my young sons for safety purposes.

Sporting clays is a whole lot of fun for those of you that might not have tried it. 

JbarL

miss that.....use to shoot at some friends....did alot of grouse huntin' in s ohio...turkery got everthing eat up there now...but used to shoot with about  6/8 folks made for a great sat/sun afternoon.......used to shoot  what they called  "annie oakley"..( fogot the shhoting sequence and scoring :mad:.)  help me out here a little bit, shooters))....but there was always a "buck in the basket" for each round....that i do remember.. :D....( don"t  go if dick chaney is invited...  (angel)  ;) )    jbarl

KDSC

I have a Benelli, Browing, and a couple winchesters, I LOVE the benelli, it is an automatic 12 gauge. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

farmboy

JbarL said:
miss that.....use to shoot at some friends....did alot of grouse huntin' in s ohio...turkery got everthing eat up there now...but used to shoot with about  6/8 folks made for a great sat/sun afternoon.......used to shoot  what they called  "annie oakley"..( fogot the shhoting sequence and scoring :mad:.)  help me out here a little bit, shooters))....but there was always a "buck in the basket" for each round....that i do remember.. :D....( don"t  go if dick chaney is invited...  (angel)  ;) )     jbarl

i lived here my whole short life and seen 1 grouse, darn turkeys

i got a 20g. winchester 1300 pump

shortdawg

Wingshooting is where it's at in my book. I've traveled all over the US hunting Ducks, Pheasant, Quail, Snipe, and Dove. At home we mostly shoot Dove and Ducks. I personally don't shoot much skeet at all but I think it is a great sport. I hold many Dove shoots on our farm and have several female hunters come. I think it's great that a husband and wife can enjoy that together. I would recommend a 20 guage for any beginner male or female. The recoil an a 20 is not  too bad where it would effect the mechanics of shooting. It is just like any other sport in that the fundamentals are essential for success. ( ie. mounting the gun to your shoulder, pointing instead of aiming, following through on your shot, etc.)  Good Luck if you decide to pursue the sport. You don't have to kill anything on a skeet range if killing animals bothers you.

boomer

The NRA has a program for women called Women On Target. Great program to introduce women to firearms and trap shooting. If you get on their website they should have some info on this program. Trap skeet, hunting... they can be fun for the whole family.  I was raised in a home with hunting, skeet, trap.  My Mom, sister and I have gone to the class 2 times. We just loved going and being around other girls and meeting new friends.  Highly recommend if you have not been around firearms at all or very little.