Anyone with experience using sexed semen?

Help Support Steer Planet:

bigby535

I have a heifer that I want to breed using sexed semen.  I'm told sexed semen will have a little lower conception rate than conventional.  She was cycling regularly, until I was ready to breed her about 45 days ago.  Now she's standing.  I hate to used sexed and lessen my chances of sticking her.  If she doesn't stick this time around, she becomes a late calver.  For those with any sexed semen experience, would it increase my odds of success to breed her right after she goes out of heat and then again 8-10 hours later?  It's more important to get her bred than the cost of the extra unit of semen.  Or should I use conventional (same bull) semen and just run the normal risk?

cowboylaw

No doubt you'll have less of a conception rate, but then again you may be lucky.  You might increase by using two straws, then you're still not at the same semen level as conventional.  Sounds to me your main concern is getting her bred.  I'd go with conventional and use two straws of that (6 hours apart), cheaper too than using two straws of sexed. 

bim1986

We have had good luck with sexed semen, but if it was on the line to get bred I would use 2 straws of regular semen.

HavinABlast

You can either breed her at 2 intervals to increase your odds,  I have double dosed with good success.  Some people also use a dose of sexed plus a dose of conventional.  The odds for the sexed goes down but the odds of her sticking increases.  If getting her bred now is a priority this might be the way to go.

hardenblu2

we have had good luck with sexed semen, however we never have used it on a heifer. the semen is so much more expensive and some heifers are hard to breed. as disappointing as it is to miss one if you feel that this is your last chance to breed her to keep her in line you may want to put her in with your cleanup bull. believe me i no this is not what any of us want to do but that's why we keep the darn things around. your percentages do drop some with the heifer sexed but not as much as you might think. being a heifer could drop your percentages more than your choice of semen. what ever you do i hope it works for you good luck.   

bigby535

I used one unit of conventional semen.  I was fine with the usual risk on conventional, just wasn't comfortable with sexed if the conception rate is  lower.  I didn't feel two units conventional were necessary since I knew when she came in heat and when she went out.  I am kind of particular on timing of breeding.  Thank you to those who replied and to bim1986 for asking!

RyanChandler

I just cant believe 25-50 bucks is the determinate in what you do--  I mean maybe if we're talking several hundred dollar straws but most sexed I've seen is usually 50 whereas the traditional is 25. 

bigby535

XBAR  $25-$50 does not determine what I do.  I stated in my post it was more important to get the heifer bred than the cost of an additional unit of sexed semen.  As usual, you add nothing to the conversation.