Appendix Heifer Pics...Opinions

Help Support Steer Planet:

ShowmanQ

I am looking for opinions on this heifer. What do you like?not like? what would she breed good to(calving ease shorthorn or clubby)?
out of a TH FREE FULL BROTHER TO CF KING KONG and a NPS OUTRAGEOUS COW
she is a July 2006 doesnt really have much hair on her (but i wish she did ;D)
Thanks

Attachments

• precious and banner.jpg
    precious and banner.jpg
    685.4 KB · Views: 551

pigguy

I would like to see more muscel in her hind end, more bone and hair O0  would also like to see a better top on her, i think she would go good with Jakes proud jazz for a first calf

OH Breeder

First go around, Gizmo is an excellent choice. I think she is plenty of muslce. I hate to see the little blocks you can't tell a steer from a heifer.
Ali might lenthen her out a bit. You could also go with Majors Money Man give you both the option for maintaner and shorhtorn plus.
For me Gizmo gave a tick more rib and cleaned up the front end a bunch.
There is a bull if you could get your hands on some semen that I think I am going to try that might click well with her Leveldale Javelin. Sue form Lakeside in Michigan has some calves and Jungles et all sold some heifers that were pretty fancy this past fall out of him.
Nothern Improvement would add some hair and give her a little stronger top line and really makes a pretty calf.
If you are thinking of staying appendix.
I like her. I do'nt have any experience yet with Jakes PRoud Jazz. I have heard but not seen any calves yet out of my own stock. If yhou wanted a little twist you could also try Dream On the Simmi bull for a half blood simmi. That seems to be very hot at the moment. Calving ease and would make a nice female for you or steer.
For calving ease this year on my shorthorns I used the following, Gizmo, Hide and Watch, Ali

garybob

Hey, If I were in the position to expand, I'd be quite content with some halfbloods that looked like her, provided they looked that good on grass and mineral, and the occaisional (twice-weekly during summer)1/2-pound treat of some good-ol' All-grain or 50-50, or a belly full of Fescue or Bermuda Hay and 2lbs of 22% Cubes during fall and winter.

There's nothing wrong with her, phenotypically, and she's named accordingly, if her disposition matches her looks. Has she started cycling yet? If you don't mind me asking, at what age did she start "bulling"?

OH Breeder

maine12 said:
isnt gizmo like $100 a pop ???

How much does a live calf sell for? ;D $100 and a good calf seems pretty good investment to me. You are housing a bull and maintaining the over head on one. I don't think for a proven sire that is too much. Would I want to breed 10 or 15 that way, well I am not that rich. But If I am going to invest in a heifers future, i spend a little bit more on them.

ShowmanQ

garybob said:
Hey, If I were in the position to expand, I'd be quite content with some halfbloods that looked like her, provided they looked that good on grass and mineral, and the occaisional (twice-weekly during summer)1/2-pound treat of some good-ol' All-grain or 50-50, or a belly full of Fescue or Bermuda Hay and 2lbs of 22% Cubes during fall and winter.

There's nothing wrong with her, phenotypically, and she's named accordingly, if her disposition matches her looks. Has she started cycling yet? If you don't mind me asking, at what age did she start "bulling"?

Garybob,
What do you mean by bulling? She has been primarily on grass, she has alwaus been on pasture and free choice hay, along with 10lbs of corn per day. Her personality definatley matches her name, she is a babydoll!!

shortyisqueen

He means "at what age did she start cycling..?"

Nice heifer, she looks a touch wide-fronted but that could just be because her brisket is fairly full - maybe she just needs a diet!!! Like others have suggested, I would go for calving ease (of any breed) the first year. You can fool around with clubby later - when you do not have to worry about the consistency of the birth weight so much. No need to ruin a beautiful heifer for the sake of 'maybe' getting something for the showring that will be too hard for her to have. Cowboy Logic: For every hour a first calving heifer spends in labour over the normal amount, they take a week longer to cycle afterwards.

garybob

My point is, she should be BRED by now, provided the Gentlemen in the background are 6' tall. She doesn't need prettying- up. Also, I might add that, she is already very pretty. You know,even us "Commercial Guys" notice color.Color can both add to , or subtract from an animal's value.  My Gary-Bob Rhetorical Question, was aimed at Fertility, a very economically-relevant trait. In fact, it is MOST important of all of them.

Hair? She doesn't need a single extra follicle. I appreciate Cattle that look like Shorthorns, and, not look like Ramboullet Ewes.

How's the Weather up There?

GB

ShowmanQ

Garybob,
She started cycling in June (12 months) but we decided to keep her open until early spring so that we can breed her for a january calf, since that is what we are gearing a small group of females to for show calves and replacements. The weather has been all over the board here lately, 6 inches of snow last week snow melted 32 and sleet today, supposed to be 50 and rain on thursday. MUD MUD MUD!!!