appendix shorthorn hfrs.

Help Support Steer Planet:

tucker

iam looking for a appendix shorthorn hfr. born in the spring and located in nebreska. could travel to s.d. or iowa. any color but prefer one that can compete at the regional shows in ne. and stand in the top 3 at big shows. needs to be in the 2500.  price range. want to purchase from the breeder not a trader.  any one have some ? iam traveling to s.d. and  iowa this weekend.

C-CROSS

Not trying to burst you bubble but 2500 isn't alot for a breeder to let you in to take pick on the top end.  We have some, but if I am going to sell my top end it will take more than that.

lowann

Good luck on that one. We just looked at a red/white heifer in eastern Iowa a couple of weeks ago. She was good. She sold for $10,500.00

stumpy

If you would like you could try in Kansas. We have a couple that are very good but we cannot get any signifigant traffic to our place. No matter how many good pictures of nicely presented cattle, that are an accurate representations of the calves we take, hardly anyone seems interested. It is very frusrating to put a  lot of work into a program and only hear about the big traffic and high prices. Sorry about the rant I am just getting worn out on trying to sell Jr. show cattle and only having people tell me they are worth alot. But if you are interested please let me know.

M Bar

Gotta second you on that one Stumpy.  NEWS ANNOUNCMENT for those of you who follow the markets......Get ready, we may be happy to be selling weaned calves for $400.00 per head by the end of the year, let alone 2500 dollar heifer calves.

kane1598

stumpy said:
If you would like you could try in Kansas. We have a couple that are very good but we cannot get any signifigant traffic to our place. No matter how many good pictures of nicely presented cattle, that are an accurate representations of the calves we take, hardly anyone seems interested. It is very frusrating to put a  lot of work into a program and only hear about the big traffic and high prices. Sorry about the rant I am just getting worn out on trying to sell Jr. show cattle and only having people tell me they are worth alot. But if you are interested please let me know.

you wouldn't still have the Dr. Who heifer would you stumpy?  What is her price right now, I may want in on her.

OH Breeder

M Bar said:
Gotta second you on that one Stumpy.  NEWS ANNOUNCMENT for those of you who follow the markets......Get ready, we may be happy to be selling weaned calves for $400.00 per head by the end of the year, let alone 2500 dollar heifer calves.

Agree.Although, we already experienced this last year. The markets recently progressed up ( feeders calves/weaning calves). Last year we sold some for 80-57 cents # for 600 lb calves.
Folks seem to get greedy. It is unfortunate that 2500 will not buy a decent show prospect in some folks minds.

shortyjock89

We sold a lot of calves pretty cheap this year, and unless something is in my top, TOP end, I don't have a problem with not asking a WHOLE lot of money.  This year I sold a steer for half of what I KNOW I could have sold him for, just to sell him to a 4H family...and I sold a heifer pretty dang cheap, but she was young and it was nice to get her sold so soon.  I've had some much bigger offers on her since, and clipped her today..and WOW, she's a lot better than I thought she was going to be....

Wish I could help you out, I have an Appendix heifer and she's pretty nice, but I'm in IL, and I know you're not wanting to travel that far....good luck!

lowann

We just got our Lautner Farms 2008 Update  book today. 70 high selling calves listed. Starting at $6,000.00-$60,000.00. Personally, I would rather see our show calves go to a 4H, or FFA family that show, and take good care of them. We sold a Hard Core steer last year for allot less than what we were offered by someone else.(steer jock) He was shown all over, and we had a great time watching him.

Jill

You also have to remember the 70 high selling calves were out of out of hundreds of thousands of semen staws sold.  I think discretionary income is on hold for a while and the medium range show calf for most people fits in this range.  I know for our family we install septic systems, in a normal year we will do from 25-35, this year we have put in 1 new system, tends to cut into our show calf budget pretty quickly. 
We made the trip to Iowa to pick up a cow and stopped at a couple of the farms.  There are 100's of sales going on in just that one weekend we were there, we got to talking and if you bring home good structure, a good family can pick up a calf at ANY of these places and be ok.  I think people get way to caught up in looking for the great one and sometimes overlook the ones that really have the most potential down the road.  I feel for you Stumpy, for some reason Kansas is a tough place to sell show cattle, not sure why, but that has been our experience.

justme

Its hard here in Missouri too.  Seems like if we'd move the farm 10 miles over the Iowa border we'd be set.  Guess they have the mentality that all good calves come from Iowa?  They need to cross the border for some bargains! (thumbsup)

steelroom

i have a appendix shorthorn heifer out of Xray Vision sire x full flush son X angus X Charolais. I'm located in southern Minnesota minutes from I-90.