are diseases passed through tattoo equipment?

Help Support Steer Planet:

gw197510

Is it possible to pass diseases from one animal to another through tattoo digits?  I sent a heifer to a fitter, who tattooed her, and she later turned up with a leukosis titer.  I have never had leukosis in my herd before. 

shortyjock89

I would imagine so. Those needles penetrate skin, and blood gets on them, and sometimes folks don't always clean their equipment like they should....sorry to hear about your heifer. :'(

OH Breeder

Bovine Leukosis can be passed through tattoo equipment. If blood is exchanged and the equipment is not cleaned properly you stand a great chance of spreading the virus.

cattle.girl

so what would you recommend for cleaning the equipment between animals....will alcohol work?

OH Breeder

cattle.girl said:
so what would you recommend for cleaning the equipment between animals....will alcohol work?

We keep betadine solution for cleaning the ear prior to tatoo. I also keep an old toothbrush and clean the tattoo's. Alcohol would work but let it dry as it will STING if you use it fresh on the next one. Alcohol drys fast. Peroxide is also okay. You can use dilute peroxide and water and drop the tattoo's in to solution between animals. The big thing is make sure there is no blood.