are there any custom fitters anymore?

Help Support Steer Planet:

Pop Tart

If so, what are the going rates these days? Daily care at home and at shows.

The Show

There are a lot in the Brahman breed. They run about $10-$15/day at home and shows can really vary, but all expenses are always billed out.

bk2005

Pop Tart said:
If so, what are the going rates these days? Daily care at home and at shows.

it depends on what state your in. i know in ohio or ind. for anyone good ur gonna have 60-100 for fitting alone.

Redangus01

There are some people around MD that do it for the premiums won. They dont pay anything - food and hotel and fuel is covered going to shows but they do not pocket any money running to and from the farm the just take money at shows.

twistedhshowstock

There are a lot of custom fitters around still. Price really varies depending on the animal, how time consuming it is, etc. You can expect about $10-$15 a day at least per animal for daily care at home, any vet bills, supplements, special treatmant will be billed to you.  You will also pay all of travel expenses to shows if you are the only person whose cattle they are hauling, if there are other clients, you will split the travel expenses with other clients.  You will pay your entry fees and a show day fee which is generally somewhere between $60 and $100.  And most custom fitters will take a % of premiums won in these kinds of deals.
Are you looking for a custom fitter? If so for what kind of cattle and where?

outlawcattlecompany

I've done some custom fitting the past 2 years. I used to think that was the career path I wanted to pursue but some recent experiences have changed my mind. I've made some good side money at it. If you're hauling to shows anyway and play your cards right, I found it possible to pay for some or all of our show trips off the revenues from the customer cattle.

cowfitter

I haven't worked for any one in quite a while.  We run our own cattle now, but when I was in college I paid for a good lump of it with fitting money.  I was paid $150 a calf but that was start to finish each weekend, and hotel, food, and gas was all covered as well.

cowboy8733

I agree, I have made a good bit of money fitting and it paid for my first two years of college. Just takes time and will to travel ALOT.