Are we going to be able to keep this boy's weight down

Help Support Steer Planet:

kvhranch

WE got our 1 steer at Thanksgiving and he was about 825.  At weigh in this past weekend he was 999.  Fair is the first of August.  And the range is 1050 - 1400.  We are just now switching to the finisher feed - have been on the grower up until now, so everything until fair should be out instead of up (if I understand the purpose of the 2 types of feed correctly).  We have already decided we are not going to take the boy up in quantity on the new feed (the other steer was 784 so we want to start moving up how much he eats in the next month).  Is there anything else I should be careful about on making sure this steer doesn't get to big?  My husband and I have talked about maybe exercising him every day to - more than just leading by the boy, but like trotting behind the 4 wheeler.  Is that a good idea?  Or just keep his feed down?

They do offer an optional weighin in June and then 2 weeks before fair, so we will be doing both of those.  On one hand, it's nice not to be where we were last year - at fair the steer weighed 1056 - just made it by 6 pounds.  But not sure how stressful it will be on the other end.

willow

We are kinda in the same boat.  We have a steer that is weighing 1100 our fair is in mid July, but we have no top weight and he is a bigger framed animal. 

One option for you could be a holding ration.  Purina makes a good holding ration and you can get project specific advice from a qualified Purina rep.  Just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to put on adequate finish.  Good luck.

vc

Well he is currently gaining less than 2 pounds a day, if he has ADG of 2.5 for the next 157 days he will weigh around 1395. If he weighed the 999 pounds full you will have plenty of room to play with his weight prior to weigh in.
How much feed are you feeding him Daily? What is his condition, is he lean and tall, short and stout? Do you have the ability to weigh him on a regular bases?
Weight gain and getting the steer where he needs to be is the tough part of raising them, I would track his weight gain and feed or hold him in parallel with that. It is better to feed them full feed, then hold them for a brief period to slow them down and then feed again than it is to feed them light the entire time.
Based of his weight at this time and what he is gaining I would not be to worried about his weight as much as I would be worried that he might not be reaching his potential. If you hold his feed he may never start growing out as you put it, only up.
Exercise is good but I do not think you will need to over exercise him.

PaFFA Proud

Im on the same boat too, but as I see it summer is to come and its really hard on keeping weight on animals. Meaning the daily gain will be lower. Dont know your location but where we live on a open field(no trees at all) and it gets really hot June-July and humid. So my specific plan is to keep feeding the rate I am and see how June goes for him, if he is weighing too much I plan on putting him on the Purina Holding feed and using a paste from sullivans to bring weight down. Also as my FFA advisor told me they can loose up to 50 or more lbs going to the fair from the excitement.

Bradenh

vc said:
Well he is currently gaining less than 2 pounds a day, if he has ADG of 2.5 for the next 157 days he will weigh around 1395. If he weighed the 999 pounds full
if it was empty then you are screwed. id say turn the calf out in the pasture and get him later and fatten him. the excersise deal, we have never excersised a calf because all that does is make them hungryier and want to eat more. think about how much you have to run before you lose weight. its a loosing battle in my mind

GoWyo

I think you are better to push them to 1200 lbs. by June 1 and then you can coast when it gets hot.  We had one at 1130 by March 20 last year and he finished at 1425 in first week of August.  We never really let up on him because he wasn't fat until the end of July.  We tried to burn the frame out of him through June 1, and it seemed to work.

vc

Like GoWyo stated Id push him to 1200 then slow him down if he needs it. Since his current weight gain is less than desirable the worst thing you could do is hold him and find out later he is a slow gainer.

Latest posts