ARG Hector & Columbus

Help Support Steer Planet:

Willow Springs

We have a heifer that could be sired by either bull - her type looks like a Columbus to me, but she is starting to set an udder down now and teat shape/size/placement looks poor. So wondering what people can tell me about Columbus in these regards and also wondering what Hector is doing as well. He should have a few milking daughters by now.

mark tenenbaum

You are dealing with very old milking breeding and if you combine that with the older type blood in one like hector you may ad fuel to the fire udder wise. I would recommend one of the later Byland or Paint Valley-(same breeding) bulls.Or one of the CE bulls Numero Uno being Hot Commodity. They are all bred for tight udders for many years-Not to mention natural thickness ,documented CE over many hundreds of calves and decent fronts and structure. I saw Columbus by LCS Designer or Hutton, or Goldwalk daughters in the early 90s. And they were an improvement in a number of ways.. Or one of the reasonable CE Bulls from Sullivan-RED Remand Red Reward Red Stallion (Kohlstadt has a bunch) Red Sensation etc. They are llegit CE and offer again, Hybrid Vigor and shots of Enticer or Rodeo drive that tighten up the udders quickly. Seen many. Probably one of the best overall bulls that does everything and is partucularlly suited for dual blood is Homeplace Hot Commodity. From one of the oldest most documented herds in the US. Dale on here is Homplace-He saw every big time bull from TPS Coronet Leader on IN PERSON.

Duncraggan

We have a heifer that could be sired by either bull - her type looks like a Columbus to me, but she is starting to set an udder down now and teat shape/size/placement looks poor. So wondering what people can tell me about Columbus in these regards and also wondering what Hector is doing as well. He should have a few milking daughters by now.
Why not just DNA her? Dirt cheap for the information you will receive!

Duncraggan

Why not just DNA her? Dirt cheap for the information you will receive!
Best money I have spent! I have a fully DNA tested herd as of 2021 and had two anomalies in getting there:

1) A bull, yearling, must have jumped the fence once, as we had a calf by him when he wasn't with the breeding group.

2) We mixed up two red heifer calves by the same bull at tagging.

All problems resolved by breeding age, what a pleasure, especially for the money, considering you can retest for any other genetic trait at a later stage!

Willow Springs

Best money I have spent! I have a fully DNA tested herd as of 2021 and had two anomalies in getting there:

1) A bull, yearling, must have jumped the fence once, as we had a calf by him when he wasn't with the breeding group.

2) We mixed up two red heifer calves by the same bull at tagging.

All problems resolved by breeding age, what a pleasure, especially for the money, considering you can retest for any other genetic trait at a later stage!
I will when I decide if she is worth the money to register. Her udder quality just got me to wondering what people know of udder/teat quality of her two potential sires.