***ASK BRAD HOOK A QUESTION THREAD***

Help Support Steer Planet:

jason

Post your questions in this thread and Brad Hook will answer them as soon as he goes live at 8:00 central.

chiangus

what is the biggest single factor that goes into promoting a bull

B5 Farm

how do u know when u have a bull worthy enough to promote, also what do you think of the bull unforgiven

yuppiecowboy

Brad, have there been any negative repercussions to the My Turn parentage mystery? Decrease in orders? Returns? Legal issues?

Show Heifer

What is the biggest difference between "junior shows", and "open shows"?

How many cows do you run yourself, and what are you breeding them to this year?  

Who do YOU look up to for advice?

cwbyup62

Hey Brad,  Mark Sneed,,,, what is the most expensive piece of equipment you have broken due to frustration while picturing or videoing cattle....lol  or even a funny story if you are unlike the rest and have not broken anything.

farwest

Can you talk about semen strength, is there a number of live or per cent everyone has to abide by in the industry, as far as collection facilities and semen retailers.  do you pride youself in your bulls having strong live count.

ranch4profit

what do you think about slick shearing steers in the north? Might open up some more sales for us breeders cause it would take two different kinds of calves. one kind to prospect with hair and one for the termail show that would slick? plus the cattle would have to be better.
TH has leveled the playing feild in the show ring and in the way cattle are marketed would u agree to that?

yuppiecowboy

You alluded to the concentration of the "clubby" gene pool, will it take a paradigm shift in type we are selecting to open up the genetics utilized or do you think that we will see an outcross surface, like we did with the charolais, and where might a guess be that it will come from? Galloway? Hereford? Miniature Brahmas?

CPL

Brad what's your opinion on certain AI Sires more or less "falling apart" as they get older? Do you think more emphasis should be put on  longevity? Why do you think there are not as many mature pictures out there?

JAG

Hello Mr. Hook, long time listener first time caller. What was the first bull you promoted and what drew you to the bull Hannibal? Thanks, Josh

Show Heifer

Thanks for answering my questions.

Let me re-phrase my first question: Do you clip/prepare  cattle differently for junior shows versus open shows? Or does it depend on the judge at the show? Or does it matter either way?

Thanks for taking time and sharing your information with us.

GONEWEST

everything is good as far as volume and clarity and pic quality.

What is your take on what has led to me downfall of so many top steer traders and is that connected to the problems we have in the showring of the "haves" vs the "have nots"?

Thanks,

Phil

dhs

I was just wondering how and what is the best way to market show cattle? Brad I am 24 years old and have been breeding Angus and Shorthorn show cattle since i was 16 years old, but year after year i have problems get people to buy my cattle, It would be easy if i thought i didn't have any good ones to sell but i believe my cattle program is as good as anyone. Whats your in-site? Thanks, dhs

gatorbait

Hey Brad... You said you are more donor/receipt oriented... what ratio do you seem to need to get all your eggs planted???

ranch4profit

is there going to be a transcript of this? I only get about every 3 words brad is aying then it cuts out.