ASK OLDHORN A QUESTION

Help Support Steer Planet:

Okotoks

This is the same question I put in another thread. I was wondering if you knew any of these bloodlines or breeders?

Re: Back To The Future
« Reply #63 on: Today at 08:17:43 PM » Reply with quote Modify Remove  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: r.n.reed on Today at 06:16:51 PM
Sorry Dan,don't know anything about those cattle but I sure liked the Olive Grove Century bull and the Camelots are self explanatory!

Dang I thought if anyone would know it would be you. Maybe Oldhorn knows. Here's a bit more info.
Here is Primeston's pedigree

T P S MAX COMMANDER 8TH X-[US]2845486-    

T P S PRIMESTON CORONET X-[US]2931363-      

CORONET PRIDE 5TH X-[US]2232794-    

L P P JUGGLER'S PRIMESTON 3RD        

PRAIRIE PARK MAX JUGGLER 4TH X-[US]2858611-    

L P P BERK JUGGLER X-[US]2988770-      

MISS LANCASTER GRANT X-[US]2836148-

Coronet Pride 5th is also the dam of CORONET MAX LEADER 3RD

These are the three sons  of  L P P JUGGLER'S PRIMESTON 3RD that show up in the Canadian herdbook

OLIVE GROVE CENTURY X-M423635- sire of the Cudlobe Century bulls

OLIVE GROVE PRIMESTON X-M420074 sirein the Windy Way herd

OLIVE GROVE SNOWSTORM X-M427242-  sire of Miami Camelot and Miami Baron 20B
Snowstorm and Primeston were full brothers

scotland

Okotoks said:
This is the same question I put in another thread. I was wondering if you knew any of these bloodlines or breeders?

Re: Back To The Future
« Reply #63 on: Today at 08:17:43 PM » Reply with quote Modify Remove  

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote from: r.n.reed on Today at 06:16:51 PM
Sorry Dan,don't know anything about those cattle but I sure liked the Olive Grove Century bull and the Camelots are self explanatory!

Dang I thought if anyone would know it would be you. Maybe Oldhorn knows. Here's a bit more info.

Stay tune , June 25 Regina Sk , may offer 5 units of Olive Grove Century
Here is Primeston's pedigree

CORONET PRIDE 5TH X-[US]2232794-    

L P P JUGGLER'S PRIMESTON 3RD        

Coronet Pride 5th is also the dam of CORONET MAX LEADER 3RD

These are the three sons  of  L P P JUGGLER'S PRIMESTON 3RD that show up in the Canadian herdbook

OLIVE GROVE CENTURY X-M423635- sire of the Cudlobe Century bulls

OLIVE GROVE PRIMESTON X-M420074 sirein the Windy Way herd

OLIVE GROVE SNOWSTORM X-M427242-  sire of Miami Camelot and Miami Baron 20B
Snowstorm and Primeston were full brothers

Okotoks

scotland said:
Stay tune , June 25 Regina Sk , may offer 5 units of Olive Grove Century

Here is his pedigree. When MJB used this bull back on today's bloodlines the ribeye and marbling were amazing! What other bulls have you got lined up?

CORONET'S PRIDE 5TH X-[US]2232794- 
  L P P JUGGLER'S PRIMESTON 3RD X-M409642-     
OLIVE GROVE CENTURY       
                  LANEVIEW NORESMAN 11TH X-M311496- 
          SKAGACRES NORSEMAN 16TH X-M347468-   
                  AIRLANE BUTTERFLY 2ND X-F327584- 
  OLIVE GROVE MYRTLE X-F484638-     
                  ROTHNEY EAGLE -M333448- 
        RALPHOLM KAREN -F464906-   
                  RALPHOLM ROSE 2ND -F341164- 

justintime

oldhorn said:
Most of the bloodlines that made shorthorns the prominent breed of the early 20th century fell victim to the farm crisis of the 30's and the race to join the "belt buckle" crowd.  I knew of a couple herds of outstanding cows, mostly avondale and duchess of gloster heritage, that faded into oblivion when they were no longer popular.  Until1940 money was very hard to come by  and the purebred cattle industry increasingly became a haven for tax dodges.  Beef AI really didn't catch on until the mid 60's and then there wre breed regulations, including the one saying "semen dies with the bull".  Not many were willing to spend the money, realizing the bull might die before he could use the semen.  One bull of the 50's that I greatly admired was Otto Johnson's Browndale Monarch.  When he sold for a then record price of$6300,  I  told my dad he was worth it.My dad only snorted.  I wish I had done more traveling and herd visiting in my formative years.  I would meet soe of these gentlemen at sales,we'd talk cattle, they'd invite m,e to stop by sometime.  Well, sometime never got here and now they're gone.

I agree with oldhorn, about the unfortunate situations that affect us in this business and the great cattle from previous decades that are lost from every breed. I have pictures of some of my grandfather's cattle in the 20s and before then, and I would trade most anything I own to have semen or embryos from them today. I also have a large diploma from 1923, that my grandfather won at a local fair for having the best Beef bull at the show. It is 20 inches X 40 inches in size, and it has pictures of the Shorthorn, Hereford and Angus Champion bulls and females at that show, around the outside of it. I am fairly certain that if I could own these 6 head today, that I could make a very good living from them from semen, embryos and offspring. Each one is a powerful beast with the Angus female and the Shorthorn bull and female being truly amazing. I have oftentimes wondered what would have possessed anyone to stray away from cattle like these, even if the fads of the day made them unpopular. This should be a lesson to us all, that we have the technology today to save some of the genetics that have worked well for us, despite where the fads of the day take us. I have literally spent hundreds of hours trying to find semen from some of the great sires of my youth. Many times I find out it has been discarded which should be a crime. I will also say that only a few of the sires from the past deserve to be revisited. There are some cattle from previous decades that were no good then... and they are no good now and they should be forgotten. The good ones remaion good in any era.

justintime

Just yesterday I received a copy of a book " Stud Beef Cattle Breeding and Common Sense" written by Rick Pisaturo, founder of the famous Mandalong stud in Australia, and a master cattle breeder. It was sent to me by an Australian  cattleman, along with a multitude of newspaper articles and pictures of cattle from down under. The book is the story of Rick Pisaturo  from being a WW2 prisoner of war in an Australian jail, to his founding the great Mandalong stud. It tells the story of the development of his Shorthorn herd, and how his cattle were rejected by Australian breeders of the time. It is a remarkable story. He tells of his decision to disperse his herd and how he could not have picked a worse time to do it. Australia was into a devastating drought and cows were selling for $5 each on the commercial market. Rick decided to hold the sale, despite the conditions and his females averaged $700. The bulls averaged just over $900 and included some of the famous herd bulls he had developed. After reading this book ( I started to read it last night and did not go to bed until I had completed it) it made me very appreciative of the 70 vials of Mandalong Super Flag semen that I have. Not only is this book the story of Mandalong, but Rick also spells out how important common sense must be used in breeding decisions and cattle managenment. He gives the formulas for the best rations he has found for developing breeding stock. He also gives some excellent common sense info on how important some of the "little things" are in proper development of breeding and show cattle. For example, he says it is extremely important that your show animals have the same routine each and every day. They need to be fed at the same times every day and should be tied up at similar times each day after being fed. There are some interesting chapters on the very successful Mandalong Charolais herd, and also on his race horses. Even more interesting are some chapters on artitis in cattle and horses and what causes it.... and also a chapter on how dangerous products like " Bute" are to both the animals receiving it and the consumer. This book is an interesting read and while it is one man's opinion, it does offer some food for thought.