asphalt grindings

Help Support Steer Planet:

neocattleman

does anyone have any experience using asphalt grindings to make a dry lot/feeding pad area for winter use?

GoWyo

It would be real similar to road base.  Great for driveway surfacing, but not sure it would stay in place very well under hoof.

WinterSpringsFarm

We use it on our farm driveways, lay it down in thin layers and use a vibrating roller and packnit down. It makes a pretty good roadway, almost like chip and tar. But I'm not sure I'd want it in a feed lot. Usually lots of fine chips are left on top. I'd imagine in the winter those fine chips would irritate cattle hooves.

neocattleman

Concrete is out of the option for now so i was looking for something reasonably priced until it was no longer out of option and had someone recommend grindings but he works for the paving company so figured I would see what people here had to say.

vc

On the grindings, we use it in our equipment staging area, really depends on the grinder, some of it is like raw material, others have huge 3" to 6" chunks. If it is finer material it packs really well, cows hooves may tear it up. I put 3/4 rock around the water tank, by the end of winter it is dirt, but they don't sink in it any more it is solid.

If you put down 4-6" of grindings packed it down then 4 inches of granite or base it should make make for a solid foundation that you can still drag, plus crown it so the water runs away from the pen and it should help.