at the end of the rope

Help Support Steer Planet:

4-h mom

also he was on the top deck with one other (very large and upset)show calf

obie105

If you think it might have been the trip or the cattle he was around do you have something quiet at home for him to be with? Even an old broke cow can make a world of difference on disposition. I read through the post but you never really said what he is doing. Someone might have an idea to try for you. Hopefully he continues to get better

BTDT

You might be on to something. Obie has a good idea. You might try and get 2-3 very gentle older cows and put them in a pen/lot with him. Do not mess with him, but feed and walk around brushing the others. As the steer gentles down (hopefully), start brushing on him also. 
Hopefully the seller will contact you and you can work things out.

I understand about having a bad experience and reacting. Sometimes the passage of time erases the pain. Good days seems to take the sting away and makes the bad memories a distant past.  I am glad things seem to be working out.

dshack91

I have found that when you are trying to break a calf it is better to leave them alone in a pen and let them find the bugs and and get used to the new place then when you do start to put a halter on them they are already familiar with the place already. 

bruiser

I've been watching the comments on this post with great interest. We've discussed numerous issues but I think we've danced around the main one- the lady has a crazy calf that they can't handle and the breeder doesn't seem to care. First , my hat goes off to the family for providing their daughter the opportunity to show livestock. I understand the frustration of being in a financial position that will not allow you to "junk" this calf and buy another. I raised three kids on a construction worker/ weekend farmer salary.But, IMO, you need to take this one to the sale barn and start over.

4-h mom

knabe said:
Anyone with experience actually seen the calf?
???
Pardon me?  what does that mean. 

dshack91 said:
I have found that when you are trying to break a calf it is better to leave them alone in a pen and let them find the bugs and and get used to the new place then when you do start to put a halter on them they are already familiar with the place already. 
we unloaded him  and slipped the halter on when he was getting water. He was so thirsty i dont even think he noticed, after that we left him alone for about 3 weeks , no pressure just her feeding him and letting him get used to the place. He is the only one we have this year at the barn.

frostback

4-h mom said:
knabe said:
???

dshack91 said:
we unloaded him  and slipped the halter on when he was getting water. He was so thirsty i dont even think he noticed, after that we left him alone for about 3 weeks , no pressure just her feeding him and letting him get used to the place. He is the only one we have this year at the barn.

DING DING DING,,, we have the problem. Go and get a cheap buddy to be with. A calf that is quiet will do him wonders. I would find someone close and feed 2 if the one only goes into the freezer. Find someone close that has one.

Warrior10

frostback said:
4-h mom said:
knabe said:
???

dshack91 said:

DING DING DING,,, we have the problem. Go and get a cheap buddy to be with. A calf that is quiet will do him wonders. I would find someone close and feed 2 if the one only goes into the freezer. Find someone close that has one.
I third that....big problem.

4-h mom

Just called a friend,they are dropping off a calf today. we r gonna break him out just for the heck of it while we feed him up. made a deal ,we will feed him for the freezer and hes gonna stay with us to see if it helps . hes smaller, and quiet so it shouldnt be to much truoble, my daughters looking forward to it.
thanks for all the help.

CAB

That's a big area. The reason that I asked where you were located is that there may be someone that lives close to you that may be able to help you out in one way or another.

4h kid

Just a suggestion, as myself and my 10-year-old daughter do most of the work by ourselves.  We keep them tied up, no food no water.  Every morning walk em to the water tank, they don't go or act up, they get tied back up, try again in the afternoon, continue till they cooperate.  Try this for a few days.  When the behave they get food and water.  Also we walk them behind the tractor for quite a while before we try to handle them on our own.  I wish you luck and hope things get better.  Believe me I understand the $ part, as in don't have it, luckily Granny and Papa buy her calves!

4-h mom

we are so far removed from eveyone out here shopping for livestock isnt easy...we have to travel no matter what. the biggest things our kids do out here is 4-h and ffa. Thats why it frustrates me about this calf. when we go to buy for all our clubs its a joint affair. we might go to a pig ranch and buy 150 -160 hogs...or 50 goats . or 20 steers... we spend a lot of time and money for these kids and then we end up with animals like this. It frustarates me to no end. we are trying to give our kids the oppurtunites others have

4-h mom

4h kid said:
Just a suggestion, as myself and my 10-year-old daughter do most of the work by ourselves.  We keep them tied up, no food no water.  Every morning walk em to the water tank, they don't go or act up, they get tied back up, try again in the afternoon, continue till they cooperate.  Try this for a few days.  When the behave they get food and water.  Also we walk them behind the tractor for quite a while before we try to handle them on our own.  I wish you luck and hope things get better.  Believe me I understand the $ part, as in don't have it, luckily Granny and Papa buy her calves!
thats similar to what we do. but we take him to water every morning, then feed, then he gets tied up high...afternoon water ,tied up high..evening water ,feed tied low..in between goes in chute(if he dosen't wig out)... blow rinse blow ..tied back up ...still have to be on your toes and its usually a rodeo

Mueller Show Cattle

sackshowcattle said:
don't remember the video I had to send a check to the guy because they couldn't even take credit cards. Yes I did what the vet, ffa and 4-h advisors suggested. The trailer was my Idea. He had food, water and buy shifting him back and forth bedding changed daily. My idea was better than what supposed Mentors and authority figures suggested. This was probably about 20 years ago I was only 13 or 14 at the time and that was the norm back then. A local metal fabricator even sold a three point attachment to drag calves with tractors to keep them from getting into the wheels. I know a few people that had to put flat beds on their trucks from calves denting them. That was the only calf I bought at the nwss from a trader in the yards. I never have bought one again I either toured the ranch and bought out of the field or raised my own from there on out. the year after that I started purchasing my herd and haven't looked back.

Sounds like Calf Training 101 by Dan Dvorak, if so it is a great video for breaking calves, Use to be link in SP hall of fame I think. I think it is a great video and believe in his method. I use to use all muscle, got smarter and like this method. Is worth the $40, can save you some time and sore muscles in the end. Below is a link to his page.

http://www.thejudgingconnection.com/pdfs/Calf_Training_101.pdf

Telos

A big mistake is tying a calf's head up high and leaving him in that position for a considerable length of time. This might be your calf's problem. Imagine having your head in a halter tied up high. I'd freak out too. It also might be too early to force him in a chute. Again, try imagining this being done to you. Turning around a fearful calf can sometimes be next to impossible. Calves never forget a bad experience. Take it slow and easy. Good luck.

knabe

4-h mom said:
knabe said:
???

It means exactly what it sounds like. Get someone who has worked taming calves who has worked with several hundred and does so in a calm way that you will listen to. Changing ones perspective is much harder than breaking a calf. I know it is for me sometimes. One has to be aware of the signs within ones own head of the clues one is considering a different viewpoint rather than agreeing with the one we have. Doesn't mean one has to change their mind, but to be intellectually honest takes discipline.