Australian Blue Heelers PHOTOS Updated

Help Support Steer Planet:

OH Breeder

My nephew had 9 heeler pups a week ago. This is our first experience with Heelers. Parents are both blue. Any advice? 7 Boys and 2 girls. I will have to get you all some pictures of them.

DL

OH Breeder said:
My nephew had 9 heeler pups a week ago. This is our first experience with Heelers. Parents are both blue. Any advice? 7 Boys and 2 girls. I will have to get you all some pictures of them.

Fearless cattle dogs - they herd by going after ankles vs Border Collie "the eye" and other more subtle types of herders - I have seen them kicked flat in the head by a cow - fly thru the air - shake their head and go right  back at it - tough dogs  - need early and lots of socialization to be good pets

dori36

OH Breeder said:

I was going to be "funny" and ask what sort of mutation your nephew is that he has had pups!!!  (lol)  But, seriously, anyone considering a Heeler needs to be sure they really know and understand the breed.  Number one:  they need a JOB.  A job that keeps them active/tired and  onethat they can use their doggie brains on.  They  tend to be a tough, hard kiind of dog and although I never advocate physically knocking a dog around, I've seen Heelers that can use a little of that to get their attention.  They can be hard biting cattle dogs which is wonderful in a feedlot, rodeo, or big country situation.  The best rodeo bull fighting dog I've ever seen was mostly Heeler with a little Pit Bull thrown in!  He loved his people but I don't think there was a bull that got away with anything with him!

All that said, I've also seen Heelers competing in obedience, rally, and agility.  It's not necessarily the "kind" of job, it's that they "have" a job.  They do have tremendous herding instinct and will herd just about anything including small children, cats, other dogs ....well, you get the picture.  Be sure who ever adopts them KNOWS the breed and has a plan.  There are lots of Heelers and other herding dogs that end up in rescue not because they're "bad" dogs - but because owners don't understand them and weren't correctly advised when they bought them.  They're also intensely loyal and will protect their people and property "vigorously".

I personally love 'em.  I'm anxiously awaiting y our pics!

DL

dori - well said! and you are absolutely right - they need a job!

It always amazes me that people spend more time researching their purchase of a refrigerator than they do researching the breed of dog that they want....

garybob

DL said:
dori - well said! and you are absolutely right - they need a job!

It always amazes me that people spend more time researching their purchase of a refrigerator than they do researching the breed of dog that they want....
That's because, puppies are cuter than refrigerators. Seriously, have you ever seen people in front of WalMart giving away appliances? ;D

kanshow

Free Appliances!!!! (clapping) (clapping)  Let me know when they are doing that!!    I could use a new dishwasher. 

OH Breeder

showcattlegal said:
where are the puppies at i'm looking for a female heeler.
Ohio. There are two females. I will get some pictures for you all. Daddy does a good job with the cows. He is great herder.

OH Breeder

Okay PIctures Attached

Mother and Father of the puppies. Sorry, I am getting some new puppy photos. They are just opening there eyes. now.

Eby  Female is 16" at the shoulder and a blue/tan.
Bo    Male is 21" at shoulder and Blue/Black. 9 puppies 7 males 2 females

Attachments

• Eby-07 Heeler.JPG
    Eby-07 Heeler.JPG
    95.5 KB · Views: 391
  • Bo-07 Heeler.JPG
    Bo-07 Heeler.JPG
    111.9 KB · Views: 387
  • Puppies 1.JPG
    Puppies 1.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 382
  • Puppies 3.JPG
    Puppies 3.JPG
    25.1 KB · Views: 395

renegade

I guess i missed this post. We have raised several litters of blue heelers. It seems like they develope teeth, open eyes and ears and walk a little sooner than alot of breeds of pups i have seen. Since they get teeth quicker the momma usually weans a little sooner. We feed canned goats milk mixed with rice cereal that you find in the (human) baby aisle at wal-mart. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.

garybob

The way they are born white and "blue-up" later! I am always excited to see what each individual puppy's color will be.

GB

OH Breeder

renegade said:
I guess i missed this post. We have raised several litters of blue heelers. It seems like they develope teeth, open eyes and ears and walk a little sooner than alot of breeds of pups i have seen. Since they get teeth quicker the momma usually weans a little sooner. We feed canned goats milk mixed with rice cereal that you find in the (human) baby aisle at wal-mart. If you have any questions feel free to PM me.
I raised Jack Russells prior to mainstream popularity. I stopped raising them due to the fact the wrong people were getting them BUT anyways. I use to do the same thing with Rice Cereal. I would use whole milk warmed and mix the rice cereal to a oatmeal consistancy. It helped momma a bunch as far as condition. I assumed Heeler littlers were smaller. Thought 9 pups was alot for her.
How would you suggest we go about marketing them? I guess i get paranoid about the dogs getting inthe wrong hands. They seem as though as mentioned above they need to keep busy.

renegade

We advertise at livestock auctions and through word of mouth. Just by doing that we sell every pup we have and we usually have a waiting list. We ask them about what they are going to  do with the pups, we show them how hyper mom and dad are and explain how hyper they get and that they need discipline (spelling, sorry) from day one. They do need a firm hand and a stern voice sometimes and they are usually a one person dog but will fight tooth and nail for everyone they are raised around if they are in a bad position.Our pups go out in the cattle pens and usually just go to work.

garybob

OH Breeder said:
renegade said:
I raised Jack Russells prior to mainstream popularity. I stopped raising them due to the fact the wrong people were getting them BUT anyways. I use to do the same thing with Rice Cereal. I would use whole milk warmed and mix the rice cereal to a oatmeal consistancy. It helped momma a bunch as far as condition. I assumed Heeler littlers were smaller. Thought 9 pups was alot for her.
How would you suggest we go about marketing them? I guess i get paranoid about the dogs getting inthe wrong hands. They seem as though as mentioned above they need to keep busy.
Your "Jack Russell" story is a lot like my "Shorthorn" story.

GB

OH Breeder

garybob said:
OH Breeder said:
renegade said:

GB
Not quiet sure how to take that. But, I grew up with Shorthorns. We have had shorthorns since the 50's. I am not sure if that was a dig to me or just in general.

garybob

OH Breeder said:
garybob said:
OH Breeder said:
renegade said:

GB
Not quiet sure how to take that. But, I grew up with Shorthorns. We have had shorthorns since the 50's. I am not sure if that was a dig to me or just in general.
No, it wasn't a "dig" at you. I was noting that you didn't like the direction the Jack Russell Breeders were going. Jack Russells used be very good "squirell dogs". Now, they're just "pets". Simply noted the similiarities.

GB