Automatic waterers

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackdirt cowboy

In our showbarn, our pens are sized to hold one to two calves. We are looking to add automatic waterers, but aren't sure which ones to get. We don't need anything fancy and definitely don't need them heated. Does anyone use the bowl type waterers? How about the ones where the cattle have to push the valve with their nose to get the water? What would y'all recommend?

Doc

The only waterers we use are Cobett. Now inside a barn and not worried about freezing, there may be something that works as good or better for that application. But if going outside, the Cobett is the best on the market IMO.

Jess

I'd say your best bet would be a miraco or ritchie. Both are built to last and are low maintenance. Both are easy to clean when needed, I'd say the Ritchie is a little easier to work on being they have bigger access doors to the valves and such underneath. Being in a barn and not having much usage (probably never going to be more than a few head max), you're going to be able to get smaller waterers, which will save money.

If it was me, I'd keep an eye out for waterers on auctions. And I'd find a local dealer, that way if you have any troubles, the guys that know the most about them will be able to help