Average Daily Gain?

Help Support Steer Planet:

the_cowgirl_in_me

What is the average daily gain for a show calf? Also how much feed would = how many pounds? Should grain or alfalfa be the main feed? And right now i would say hes around 500lbs. THANKS!!!  ;D

OH Breeder

the_cowgirl_in_me said:
What is the average daily gain for a show calf? Also how much feed would = how many pounds? Should grain or alfalfa be the main feed? And right now i would say hes around 500lbs. THANKS!!!  ;D

You have a calf that is 500#'s and what and when is your goal for finish. If I remember right it is usually feed 3% of the body weight a day. Assuming this is a steer you will probably go with a breeder grower ration. There are alot of variables. Do you want pre bagged feed or mill feed? Do you have a feed mill or consultant close?
Average daily gain can vary. We usually weigh calves at the start and periodically through out the process. You can take them to the local mill and walk them on the scale if you don't have one. Then count the days til final show. Divide and that is our goal. We adjust our feed ration accordingly. We have always fed free choice grass hay.

the_cowgirl_in_me

The end goal is around 1300. Im feeding Hi-Pro beef Starter, as we do not have a local mill and untill school starts up next month i cant get him weighed..