Awards at show-idea's

Help Support Steer Planet:

amss101

Hi, I am going to suggest updating some of our prizes at next years county fair and thought who better to ask for ideas! Aany new and different ideas on what would be good to give?  What they enjoyed the most as an award or thought would be fun to have? Also, any of the competition things you give awards for, I know the usual's....class winners, born and bred but anything that you think would be worth getting a prize for or have seen that would be a nice added addition to the regulars.  Thanks for your help. (clapping)

Bawndoh

How bout a showman or herdsman type award that does not necessarily go to the best showman.  For instance, it could go to the kid who shows the most determination and try.  Like a most improved award.  One of those kids who is just starting out, and is not necessarily the best, but has the determination of....well a lot of determination.  I think this award would make the kids day, as it could very easily go to someone who has not necessarily won anything that day. 

Diamond

one of the county fairs we attend they swapped out the trophies for something a tad more practical, or at least useful. They present awards done on jackets,blankets, backpacks (a huge hit with kids since they can wear their award to school) shoulder bags (aka collage bags) CD cases, ect. Basically things along those lines.

doubled

We give awards for citizenship (like who helps others the most in the barns) we gave things like halters, grooming products,
and the herdsmanship award (who takes care of stalls, theirs and others the best) we always gave a shop broom.

kanshow

I really like the idea of 'useful' things instead of trophies/ribbons.     

Chairs, buckets, jackets, bags, gift certificates to show supply place are a few ideas...

Rocky Hill Simmental

At one show I go to, they have a drawing for stuff after the show that were donated by businesses. They have grooming products, show sticks, rope halters, mineral, toys for the young kids, gift certificates, and T-shirts. They always have enough for all the kids there too so everyone gets something. It's nice because even if the kid doesn't win, they still get something.

Personally, I like trophies, ribbons, and rossettes the best so I can hang them on the pedigree sign. Belt Buckels are nice too but I never won one of those before. I've also seen lawn chairs and show halters given as prizes for winning.
I've kept all the ribbons I've won and I write my animal's name, the year, and the show on the back. I think it's nice. I even keep all the ribbons I've won on fruits and vegetables I've shown.  :D

AAOK

This was for a Jackpot show, but something I think would work equally well for a County show.  We had a drawing for all exhibitors who did not win any kind of a Championship or Reserve during the show.  Our winner received an aluminum stand-up showbox on wheels.

jason

daydreamingacres said:
Show halters with the award engraved is nice. You can buy them from like nasco or something. they can be used or they can be hung up somewhere.

neat idea

daydreamingacres

Thanks Jason. We actually gave them to our maid of honor and our best man in our wedding. It had the date on it, their name and a little message. I thought it was nice. Heck I wanted one!!!

renegade

I think usefull stuff is always nice - like the jackets, bags, chairs, equipment, etc.

At our fair everyone gets a rope halter, first place gets a chair, and second gets an engraved show stick. But like around here some of the associations get these jackets that look like they are from like 30 years ago (not great for a jr show :D)- i think cause they are cheaper and the people getting the awards are older.

I know the nat. jr hereford association has the coveted golden pitchfork award and its a traveling trophy for whatever state wins - idaho brought it home for this year and it was a pitchfork spray painted gold and in a wood and class case i think.

Jill

Our county has belt buckles for the Supreme and Reserve Supreme animals and also for the showmanship winners.  We have a family that does a halter for a memorial to the 3rd place intermediate showman, and that's kind of neat.
Prizes we have won that we get the most use out of are engraved TV trays (by far my favorite), iron coat hanger sign, jackets chairs and bags are nice but don't date them so they aren't obsolete in a year or 2.

cowz

daydreamingacres said:
Show halters with the award engraved is nice. You can buy them from like nasco or something. they can be used or they can be hung up somewhere.

We just buy the nice rolled leather halters from Sullivans, buy a thin brass engraved plate from the local trophy shop and rivet it to the middle of the strap that goes behind the ears.  Nobody ever complains about getting those!

Garment bags with the zip pocket for boots are always welcome!

amss101

I am copying and pasting into my word doc. so that I have all of these...thanks so much to everyone for replying.  There are some REALLY good ideas.  Keep them coming, I appreciate the help!javascript:void(0);

Cowboy Up

At our fair, and a few others, they give a "Supreme Beef" award. It is a combination of Carcass, Live Placing, and Showmanship. This is usually the top honors at the fairs (besides Grand Champion), and usually are rewarded with belt buckles.