Awareness to the REAL beef industry (not that vegan stuff)

Help Support Steer Planet:

knabe

Aren't you supposed to pickup a donor cow especially if supposedly temporarily paralyzed from giving birth?

At some level, I don't have a problem picking a cow up. There aren't really dual use tools out there.

I'd say 12 years old max for dairy. How many would be not created with that age.

Surely there's a reporting structure for age of downer cows within the industry to help narrow the management guidelines.

Sir Loin

Re: “Still not clear what proper management is.”
Selecting the proper breed for your area.
Maintaining a healthy herd
Timely vaccinations
use culling to maintain and improve your herd, cull all problem animals
Do not do any supplementary feeding unless you are absolutely sure it is necessary

Re: “How does poisoning in a confinement arise. “
supplements and feed stock
Toxic weeds/plants

What 2 or 3 things could one do to get rid of 90% of downers?
Do not feed any feed stock unless you have it tested for sulfur.
Do not use any supplement unless you are sure they are needed, as to much is worse then not enough.
See: https://www.extension.umn.edu/agriculture/beef/components/docs/avoiding_mineral_toxicity_in_cattle.pdf

Sir Loin

FYI: The USDA through FSIS will soon have a solution to most of our downer problems. Especially the dairy industries problems. As on the first of next year commercial alcohol producers ( ethanol ) will not be allowed to use sulfur in their manufacturing process. And that should take care of about 90% of downers. This is also an example of unreported downers.
See:
http://www.wcnc.com/story/news/local/2014/11/26/high-death-rates-in-cattle-concerns-iredell-co-farmers/19517675/

“IREDELL COUNTY, N.C. -- A dairy farm mystery in Iredell County where hundreds of cows have died of one family's farm.
Dale Ladd runs the family dairy farm with his brother James up in Harmony, North Carolina.
For years they produced milk at a gold standard, but about five years ago, the Ladd's noticed cattle dying at an alarming rate.
"We've had over a hundred head of adult cattle die since all this has been going on, and several hundred head of baby calves have died," Dale said.
He believes the feed caused sickness and set his farm back thousands of dollars.
"We tested our feed and found out it was running a high level in sulfur," he explained. “

Duncraggan

Sir Loin said:
Re: “What is average of downer.”

Maybe don't have cows over age x
Yes, as I already said:  “ IMO I think it would be better if cattlemen understood they should cull cows before they become downers while they still have value and are not a liability to both themselves and the industry.
I myself cull my cows after they produce 10 to 12 calves depending on their BCS while I can still get out of them what I paid for them as a heifer. To me that's a no brainer.”
I agree, if your cow has produced 10-12 calves that have not improved on her, then you should either have sold her a long time ago, or, have changed your breeding programme!