Back by popular demand- Recipe Corner!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

this is an Amish recipe for Rhubarb Custard Pie.

1 pint of milk
1 tsp flour
3 beaten eggs
1/2 cup sugar- note might need 3/4 cup of rhubarb extra tart
pinch or salt
2 cups fresh rhubarb finely chopped
1 unbaked pie shell

preheat oven to 400. Heat milk until just warm. Rub flour smooth w/ just enough water to make a paste. Add paste mixture to hot milk.
Gradually add to beaten eggs mixed w/ the sugar & pinch of salt. Cover bottom of unbaked pie shell w/ the 2 cups of finely chopped rhubarb.
Pour custard mixture over rhubarb. Bake slowly at 400 for 10 minutes watching to make sure it doesn't boil. Then reduce heat to 350 & bake for about 30 minutes or until set.

Very, very Yummy!!!  (clapping)

occ

Somebody please tell me what a rhubarb is.  We don't have those in South Georgia.  I've heard of them all my life, but wouldn't know one if it jumped up and bit me, much less what to do with it.

simtal

Rhubarb is a plant that has big green leaves much like lettuce with red-pink stalks.  The stalks of a rhubarb plant are what goes into a pie.  From what I understand, it takes a few years of management to get rhubarb to grow.  If you don't cut it, it doesn't grow.  I'm sure more can elaborate on this.

red

I do rhubarb a lot of ways. I make a crsip, dump cake, bars, several types of pies or just plain stewed. It can be a little on the sour side so you need lots of sugar. We normally have it in the spring but I also have frozen it for winter use. Hubby likes his w/ a side of vanilla ice cream.  (thumbsup)

Red

cowz

Ok, people, look out ... I am about to hijack the recipe corner and ask......A RHUBARB Question!!!!!   (To keep this in the vein of cattle discussion....when we were kids we used to make hats out of rhubarb leaves and put them on the milk cow.)

Anyhow, I have a 60 year old rhubarb plant in my back yard that my aunt planted in 1947.  It produced really well, but apparently is DEAD!   Can they die of old age?  Can they winter kill?   

My mother has some vintage rhubarb in her garden, Im thinking about snitching one.  Has anyone ever had any luck transplanting rhubarb???? I know...this has to be THE WEIRDEST question to ever hit this board. 

KCK

cowz said:
Ok, people, look out ... I am about to hijack the recipe corner and ask......A RHUBARB Question!!!!!   (To keep this in the vein of cattle discussion....when we were kids we used to make hats out of rhubarb leaves and put them on the milk cow.)

Anyhow, I have a 60 year old rhubarb plant in my back yard that my aunt planted in 1947.  It produced really well, but apparently is DEAD!   Can they die of old age?  Can they winter kill?   

My mother has some vintage rhubarb in her garden, Im thinking about snitching one.  Has anyone ever had any luck transplanting rhubarb???? I know...this has to be THE WEIRDEST question to ever hit this board. 

Wikipedia....

In warm climates, rhubarb will grow all year round, but in colder climates the parts of the plant above the ground disappear completely during winter, and begin to grow again from the root in early spring. It can be forced, that is, encouraged to grow early, by raising the local temperature. This is commonly done by placing an upturned bucket over the shoots as they come up.

Rhubarb can successfully be planted in containers, so long as the container is large enough to accommodate a season's growth.

red

I've transplanted rhuburb ( and then the hubby plowed it  under). You just did up a section to get the roots. It's best done in the fall. Also we cover ours w/ composted manure in early winter, it fertilizes & provides cover.

Red

garett

red said:
Hubby likes his w/ a side of vanilla ice cream.  (thumbsup)

Red

I've never had rhubarb but I think it woulld be a little strange tasting, especially with ice cream?! Do you just like eat the stalk or what w/ the ice cream?? lol

doubled

More Hiijack
Hey Red how bout we start our own area somwhere here for Recipes????
Or a different Blog, I know maybe we should write our own recipe book ( i have the software) and sell a Steer Planet book and raise money for charity???

red

justamom said:
More Hiijack
Hey Red how bout we start our own area somwhere here for Recipes????
Or a different Blog, I know maybe we should write our own recipe book ( i have the software) and sell a Steer Planet book and raise money for charity???

you know that would be so cool! I have a blog set up. You can e-mail me recipes & I can post them there. I love to cook & try out all kinds of weird things. I've even asked Knabe for ideas!  (clapping)
http://www.steerplanet.com/red/index.php  haven't been very good updating it as you can see but we can try it.
Red

red

here's another one!

Rhubarb crunch

1 cup of flour
5 Tablespoons of powered sugar
1/2 cup soft butter
2 large eggs
1-1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup of flour
1/4 tsp salt
4 cups diced rhubarb

blend together 1 cup flour, powered sugar & butter, & pat into bottom of an 8" square pan. Bake at 350 for 15 minutes. Combine dry ingredients w/ eggs & rhubarb & spread over crust. Bake again at 350 for 35 to 40 minutes. recipe can be double using a 9 by 13 inch pan.

this is my fovorite way of doing rhubarb!

Red

bradycreek

Here is one....Its easy and not homemade from scratch but Our family likes it even though it's made with chicken  ;).

Cashew Chicken Casserole
1-chicken breast cooked in butter or pam and cut up into cubes---or if in a hurry just used canned white chicken meat drain the water.
1-can cream of mushroom soup
1/2 cup of chow mein noodles
1/2 cup of cashews (pieces or whole)
1/4 cup of water
1-chicken bullion cube
1/4 cup of diced green onions or an onion cut up and sauteed in butter until translucent.

Cook chicken in a skillet, remove and cube up into pc's. Cook onions then remove. Boil water and dissolve bullion cube. Combine all ingredients in bowl except for 1/2 or the chow mein noodles.  Place mixture in a small casserole dish and bake at 350 for 30 min.  Take out and add remaining chow mein noodles.  Serve with fried rice or steamed.  Makes enough for 2 to 3 people.

Sorry about the spelling.
don

mrs sawboss

Easy Peach Cobbler (And I mean REALLY easy!!!!!)

(2) 15 oz. cans of sliced peaches in heavy syrup
3/4 cup of flour
1 cup of sugar
1 stick of butter or margarine
1 "all ready" pie crust
cinnamon and sugar

Mix peaches with syrup, flour and sugar together.  Pour into a greased 9X6 glass baking dish.  Take pie crust and tear into small pieces and layer on top of peach mixture.  Cut margarine/butter into pats and lay on top of pie crust.  Sprinkle generously with cinnamon and sugar.  Bake in a preheated 350 oven for 1 hour. Enjoy!!!!!

red

another rhubarb recipe! We like rhubarb!

Rhubarb Dump Cake

4 cups chopped rhubarb
1 small package dry strawberry jello ( I use sugar-free)
1 yellow cake mix (dry)
1 cup water
1/2 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350. In a 9" by 13" pan ( I use glass for all rhubarb recipes), layer rhubarb, sugar,jello & cake mix.
Pour the melted butter & water on top. mix slightly w/ fork to distribute liquid.
Bake for 1 hour. Serve w/ whipped cream or ice cream!

Red

Also, Justamom & talked about a steerplanet recipe book. Thought maybe using proceeds for a college scholarship. Would anyone be interested in contributing recipes? Any kind but beef would be great!

Red

KCK

I am not much of a baker, but I would think anything to raise money for a scholarship fund would be well worth it. I think many of us would be willing to "whip" something up for this effort.  (lol)

inthebarnagain

That would be awesome, I have a slew of recipes that I could contribute, old tried and true church recipe book recipes, I collect them!