Back Trouble???

Help Support Steer Planet:

fluffer

Off the cattle topic yet again,

I have lower back problems occasionally.  I have found that those exercises balls are very helpful for relieving the pain and getting it back in line.  I got my lower back all bent out of shape on Thursday trying to get a couple of calves started nursing.  Struggled with it all weekend.  Then last night I got my  ball out and did the "abs and back" workout (that one really stretches out your back) on the DVD, and today I am about 95%.  Sounds dumb and it may not work for everyone, but it sure works for me.  Better then the quack  ;) and cheaper  :p  Just thought I would share  ;D

Fluffer

AAOK

Fluffer,
I was thrown by a horse in 1990, and couldn't get myself situated for a reasonalbe landing.  I ended up with a broken Coxic, and two impacted discs.  I've fought with back problems ever since.  Exercise is the key to making a bad back better, and keeping a good back strong.  I really messed up two years ago and herniated those two baad discs.  The surgery went very well, and now, every morning and evening I do something similar to your ball exercises.

The core, or trunk, of your body is your center of gravity. Strong core muscles - abdominal, back and pelvis - provide support to your spine for everything from walking, lifting and standing to sitting. Weak core muscles may lead to poor posture, lower back pain and injury.

You can strengthen your core muscles, including your abs, by doing core exercises at home on a cushioned floor surface or at the gym on a mat or ball. 

Before you start to exercise your body's core, locate your deepest abdominal muscle - the transversus abdominis - by coughing once. The muscle you feel contracting is your transversus abdominis.

Focus on keeping this muscle contracted while doing each of these exercises, and the rest of your core muscles get a workout, too. Once you know how to contract your abdominal muscles, begin the core muscle exercises.

With each exercise, breathe freely and deeply and avoid holding your breath. Coordinate your breathing with the activation of your transversus abdominis to get the maximum benefit.

Here is a great website to get started  http://www.exercise-ball-exercises.com/index.html

fluffer

Thanks AAOK!  I will check out that site.  (clapping) 

How is your back now?  Better I hope. 

I have never had time to get myself situated before I got pitched off a horse...matter fact I don't know that it is possible  ;)  I usually black out for some reason, or maybe it just happens so fast, either way I don't ride anymore  :p.  Just sold my last horses a week ago.

Fluffer

BCCC

I have reall bad knees, when I walk each time I take a step my knees pop, and when I sit down I cant get back up.AND my hip pops out if I move to the side to much :'(

red

I have been going to a physical therapist to help strengthen both my back & my legs. I'm supposed to do exercises at home daily but find I just am bad about that. Main goal is to get me off pain meds.

Try yoga, it really helps. a good DVD is a good way to start & work at your own pace. I know SRU has had several surgeries to help correct his problem.

Red