Bad heifer- jumping on my heels

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I talked to an excellant showperson & she said to find their pressure point w/ the halter & use that to my advantage. going to try & just lean into the rope & not pull. It's going to require patience, which I'm not famous for. Guess, I don't like swatting their faces Farmboy. don't want they to start flinching
I have the time & just need to put in the work!
Keep the ideas coming, they might help someone else out too!

Red

common sense

I think that we sometimes expect calves to know more than they are capable of.  The first time you put a halter on a calf they don't have a CLUE what you are asking of them or that you are even asking them to do anything.  All they know is that they have something scary on their face and that it doesn't feel good.  They respond accordingly but each animal responds differently.  Some will bolt from the pressure, some will freeze in their tracks and others will simply fall over.  When I was younger I used to throw a halter on a calf and tie it to the wall and let them work the fight out.  That was not only a battle for both of us but it normally lasted several days/sessions and somebody usually got hurt.  Breaking is a case where if you HAVE pain you have no gain.  I almost never tie a calf to anything the first few times I have a halter on them and I don't put a halter on them until they stand willingly to let me put one on.  By that point it's usually a half hour session of bending/flexing and releasing and we are on the road to having one trained.  I have never been able to outmuscle a critter that outweighs me by so much so I have to try and outthink him.  In the process I think that I am the one getting trained and the calf is just benefitting from the learning process.  The best part is that neither of us is getting "broke" and I my age that is truly a benefit! (lol)

red

The hubby & I worked w/ them for about 2 hours Sunday. The one lead much better today. I'm just leaning into the rope & not pulling or yanking. We walked around the yard several times. I'm also watching my feet so that I don't get tripped. The other heifer is a little different. She's just basicaly a spoiled rotten brat. Likes to stand there w/ her feet braced. We did get her walking w/ hubby behind her.
Luckily, neither are runners or try to get away. I think w/ lots of work I'll have them ready.

Red

red

After a lot of work we are making great progress! I'm walking them twice a day around our place. We have about 3 acres here so it's a good workout for all of us. The Cowboy Cut heifer has gotten so that she looks forward to our strolls. We discuss what's going on in the yard & I'm sure people going by think I'm cracking up! Also the dog is running around so there is some activity for them to get used to. The biggest problem I've had is that the Cherry Bomb likes to chew on me. She got a hold of my back pocket & tore my jeans. Hubby said they were ready for the rag bag anyway.
The best suggestion I can give anyone starting out is to really work w/ your cattle. Spend some quality time really working w/ them & getting them used to the show stick & walking. I think it will pay off in the long run!

Red

Latest posts