Bagged Show feed - Your input appreciated

Help Support Steer Planet:

DEA

Just trying to do a cost analysis/comparison of the different brands of show feed vs. different cost from around the country.  What show feed do you use and how much is it?  Thanks for your help.

LostFarmer

We used Honor Show Chow at about $14 a 50 lb bag.  We cut it 50/50 with a mixture of corn, barley and oats.  The other grain worked out to $8 CWT.  Total ration ended up about $18 CWT.  Certainly not cheap but in Idaho all commodities are spendy.  Another year I would cut the show chow a little leaner to help control costs. 

Dozer45

we use to mix our own (my boyfriend, his sister and I) with corn, oats, protein pellets, and molassas. If I remember right I would pay $40 for 300 lbs

Show Heifer

I am a big believer in Showmaster feeds. Might be in my head... but I like them!

coachmac

We had a local mill mix our feed and it ended up around $8 cwt.  Had to look for another ration for a "Diva" heifer that was a little too picky for me.  We are giving 12.20 cwt. for it.  It is a custom local mix that started out as the "show ration" for a very successful angus breeder/shower in our area.  It was a hit at his mill and they started commecializing it.  Having great luck with it. 

PLKR

We really like HSC Fitter's Edge.  It's designed more as a grower, but you can add fat, barley, or corn and use it well past the grower stage. It works really well on easy fleshing heifers. I believe it's between $12 and $13 per bag.  I would try Umbarger feed, but we don't have a good source nearby.    I think there are several good show feeds--I would choose one with good, reliable local access.

PLKR

RSC said:
For the price and quality, I really like the Show Rite bagged feeds.  I have used the Accelorator for developing bulls that we take to the Classic.  The formulation for the last couple years has Amaferm in it.

LINK: http://www.showrite.com/feeddetail.php?Id=14&Type=Cattle

Tony
We tried Show Rite feed a few years ago since we have a nearby dealer. I will say it had by far the most quality problems of any of the bagged feeds we have fed. After a number of bags of moldy feed--in the winter--that was the end for us.

Burnetaggie99

We use Lyssy & Eckel it's the best feed out there. I get a ton of show calf #150 for $289. We made the change about 4 years ago. We did feed ACCO Showmaster but it's to high and it dosn't have the extra things Lyssy & Eckel have. The only feed that gets close to Lyssy & Eckel is Show Chow but it's still not as good.

linnettejane

PLKR said:
We really like HSC Fitter's Edge.  It's designed more as a grower, but you can add fat, barley, or corn and use it well past the grower stage. It works really well on easy fleshing heifers. I believe it's between $12 and $13 per bag.   I would try Umbarger feed, but we don't have a good source nearby.    I think there are several good show feeds--I would choose one with good, reliable local access.

we use purina's show chow fitters edge too...this is our third year using it and love it...i paid $11.15 a 50 on the last load i got...

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
Your bagged feed is going to depend on your dealer an the availability an how much he sells ....We have uaed showrite an had great results but went directly to the mill an picked it up a lot of the time ...Hot weather is a problem keeping it fresh ...

Silver

Used show chow fitters edge for 30 days and it has raised my steers gain from 3.1 to 3.8. Good fresh feed, works well, but is just a little spendy.

PLKR

Freddy said:
Your bagged feed is going to depend on your dealer an the availability an how much he sells ....We have uaed showrite an had great results but went directly to the mill an picked it up a lot of the time ...Hot weather is a problem keeping it fresh ...
I agree Freddy, but our ShowRite problems were in the middle of winter. I think in our case it was more a problem of a warehouse keeping the inventory "rotated".  Like most people, nothing makes me grumpier than opening a (high priced) bag of feed and finding a moldy mess...no matter what brand it is. I'm sure not bashing ShowRite feed--- like I said earlier, there are alot of good feeds available.

j3cattleco

We feed and sell Essential Show Feeds.  We love the consistency and palatability of the feeds.  The hog and lamb feeds are unbelievable for feeding modern hogs and lambs.

Joshua

tb

We are fixing to start our 2nd year of feeding acco showmaster grower and love it all the feed as been fresh. We are giving 11.25 a bag for it I have look at purina but they want over 14.00 a bag.

rkmn

We have had good luck with Showmaster Heifer Developer the last couple of years. The cattle really like it and grow well. I tried saving a few bucks and mixing it with a cheaper mix from a local feed mill one time. They ate it well enough, but it got to be a hassle and not worth the time.

stangs13

I could care less about the price..its what is in the bag that counts..you get what you pay for in most cases...I dont think lyssey & eckel distributes outside of Texas.