Band or Cut

Help Support Steer Planet:

STEERJOCK21L

What does everyone think about cutting instead of banding? We usually band cause its hot when we work them, but this year we are working them earlier so it doesn't really matter as far as that goes. I have heard of many people that sell and show steers say that cutting is the only way to go because you can leave the sack there and it fills in a little space. Is this true and what do y'all prefer and do on your place?

shortyjock89

We band them unless they are like 4 months old, or just a real barn burner.  I think that banding them can make them a little staggy.

TJ

If you know how to cut, I'd cut.  If done correctly, cutting not only looks good, but they will also heal fairly quick & no chance of a stag.   I've cut as young as 1 day old & as old as 3 years...   :eek:  And no, I am not kidding about cutting the 3 year olds... and we dehorned them too!!  We used to background & my dad & uncle bought some "dandys" back in the day!  I am so glad we don't do any of that nonsense anymore!!   ;)  Anyway, cutting, if done properly works on any age animal. 

olsun

Amen TJ, I hate the bands, I have seen some real messes with them. Cutting is the only way to go at any age.

Sundy

I strongly agree with TJ and Olsun. When you band at a young age, you have to implant them to compensate for the loss of gain that they would have had as a bull. I have also helped a veterinarian band 750 # steers and it would be so much quicker to just cut them and I feel they have less stress in the end, especially at that age. I currently work for a veterinary clinic with a large, large animal client base and have for the past two years and the majority of producers castrate in the fall when they green tag (precondition). Most producers feel they get along better doing this procedure.

chambero

I hate banding.  We cut everything.  Our calves start hitting the ground in late August and we cut in early December.  Everything gets cut then - be they 3 months old or 1 day old.  One little trick we use is every calf gets 5 cc of penicillin when cut.  Don't know if it really helps or not, but we haven't had one get an infection in years.

Dusty

The biggest downside to banding is you don't have any nuts to eat....

tackes

My pet steer is banded, and I certainly don't like the way it looks. Not that looks matter for a pet, but I still don't like it.

I would have preferred he'd been cut; however, he wasn't mine at the time.

I would ask that if you cut, or even if you band, give a little local anastethic before you cut/ band. Just be nice to them... (angel)

red

we band & never have had any disasters. The nephew bands right away for the farm calves. At our place we usually don't band or cut until we know we don't have a piece of junk or a carrier. Then they go to the feedlot.

Red

showgirl2010

We cut at weaning time.  We borrow an immobilizer and I hold the tail out of the way while my dad works on them. 

As far as Rocky Mountain Oysters...I prepared them last year and they didn't turn out so good.  They taste fine, but the texture was nasty.  We deep fried them.  How do ya all prepare them?  Not trying to hijack the thread.

Jamie

inthebarnagain

tackes said:
My pet steer is banded, and I certainly don't like the way it looks. Not that looks matter for a pet, but I still don't like it.

I would have preferred he'd been cut; however, he wasn't mine at the time.

I would ask that if you cut, or even if you band, give a little local anastethic before you cut/ band. Just be nice to them... (angel)

If the calf is "tailed" properly you are in effect, anesthetizing them.  I taught my husband how I wanted them tailed and most of the time they just stand, sometimes, he is too good and they actually start sliding down because they can't feel their legs.  And the calves I do are anywhere from a month to six months of age. 

Dusty

showgirl2010 said:
We cut at weaning time.  We borrow an immobilizer and I hold the tail out of the way while my dad works on them. 

As far as Rocky Mountain Oysters...I prepared them last year and they didn't turn out so good.  They taste fine, but the texture was nasty.  We deep fried them.  How do ya all prepare them?  Not trying to hijack the thread.

Jamie

I've never actually prepared them.  There's a couple old boys that always do that.  They have their own secret recipe batter.  I just know they sure are good.....

red

Dusty said:
showgirl2010 said:

Jamie

Really hijacking now! The guys here love brains mixed in w/ scrambled eggs. Just not my cup of tea! I gag just watching Survivor or Fear Factor!  :p

Red

I've never actually prepared them.  There's a couple old boys that always do that.  They have their own secret recipe batter.  I just know they sure are good.....

fluffer

Just make sure that if you band ALWAYS give a tetnus shot.  No matter what type of band you use. 

We do both, band and cut.  We prefer to cut.  The vet has warned us though that if we do enough of them we will have on die.  He said there is nothing you can do about it.  So far- knock on wood- we havent' had that happen.

Fluffer

CAB

Most of our's get banded @ day one, unless we see some reason that we may be able to use or sell as a bull. This year they are all cut so far except 2. One is a Money Man X Dr.Who. The other is a Hannibal X Double Stuff that is extremely good, IMO. ET flush mate to the Kennedy div 2 Xbred winner @ the Ia beef Expo. I have never had any troubles banding calves @ an early age and I think it is way less stressful. As far as the gain you may be giving up, I don't believe all of the hype and advertising that the drug companies have been selling through the vets and extension service, and unless you've done a controlled test, I won't believe it. I think that everyone's cattle will perform to feed availability and good old fashion husbandtry. I have also cut lots of calves of all ages and also have the larger type banding equipment, but prefer banding day 1. JMO

KYsteer

I use the larger bander on the calves at weaning.  We do a lot of backgrounding as well and used to get a few bulls in with the steers we bought.  After losing one a couple of years ago do to cutting, I have gone exclusively to banding.  I really like the way the calves handle it.  There is very little stress and they go right back to eating instead of losing time on feed after cutting.  Just be sure to give a tetanus shot when banding, especially if they are older.  The Toxiod is a definite and the antitoxin can be given as well if you just want to be safe.