Banding

Help Support Steer Planet:

fireball0449

I banded a 4 month old bull calf a week ago (Wednesday). A local vet told me to immediately remove the bands and go ahead and cut him, he told me that he’s never heard a good story about banding. The elastic bands were on for about 14 hours before the vet surgically castrated him on Thursday. The swelling goes down the next few days but I noticed that his scrotum is dead. The vet told me that he’s ok. He is eating and drinking normally, not kicking or licking the area, or switching his tail.
I’m new to the show steer world. I’ve only ever shown heifers.
First picture taken on Sunday 3 days after the castration (A)
Second picture taken on Thursday a week after castration. (B)

Attachments

• BC9C8AEF-04B9-4AFB-B138-F8A66E127F54.jpeg
    BC9C8AEF-04B9-4AFB-B138-F8A66E127F54.jpeg
    922 KB · Views: 6
  • F5E84E66-5F75-4BBB-993D-63A3E7D18B9F.jpeg
    F5E84E66-5F75-4BBB-993D-63A3E7D18B9F.jpeg
    904.5 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

beebe

I banded a 4 month old bull calf a week ago (Wednesday). A local vet told me to immediately remove the bands and go ahead and cut him, he told me that he’s never heard a good story about banding. The elastic bands were on for about 14 hours before the vet surgically castrated him on Thursday. The swelling goes down the next few days but I noticed that his scrotum is dead. The vet told me that he’s ok. He is eating and drinking normally, not kicking or licking the area, or switching his tail.
I’m new to the show steer world. I’ve only ever shown heifers.
First picture taken on Sunday 3 days after the castration (A)
Second picture taken on Thursday a week after castration. (B)
I have been banding for 25 years and have no problems. Give a tetanus shot and get the band tight,