Banimine use - is it safe? Caution - graphic pictures attached!

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowcrazy

I have a calf that is on antibiotics and is running fever.  It is so stinking hot here anyway, and I would like to give him some Banimine for his fever.  The vet said it was okay, but mentioned the risk of an abcess.  Have any of you ever had a problem with giving a calf banimine? Thanks for the help in advance!

KLLR

Banamine is completely safe to use, and would be a good idea to control the calf's fever, however as of about a year ago banamine is only approved for IV use only.  Research has shown that banamine causes severe muscle necrosis when given IM.  It's use IM in the past has lead to a lot of condemed carcasses.  I would recomend having your vet administer it IV, or get the oral paste to give this calf.

cowcrazy

Thanks for all the responses.  I did give him a shot, and he is doing better.  I guess I was nervous because my sister sent me these pictures of a horse that had a horrible reaction to banimine.

Attachments

• Horse 2.jpg
    Horse 2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 294
  • Horse 1.jpg
    Horse 1.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 1,609
  • Horse 2.jpg
    Horse 2.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 284

Jill

I'm not sure, but that has to be some kind of horrible allergic reaction, you may get a temporary knot from the injection, but I have never seen anything like that!

DL

Banamine, as we all know by now, is only approved for use in cattle IV. That said if your vet recommends that it be given in the muscle you need to know 2 things -
1) get a withdrawal time - it is not 4 days for IM injection
2) when given in the muscle it is irritating and can cause injection site lesions - which are more likely inflammation and fibrosis rather than an abscess - so it is better to go in the neck (beef quality wise)

Horses have been known to get clostridial myositis from banamine injection IM - my guess is that is what this horse had and the fasciotomy incisons (all those slices) are treatment

http://www.ivis.org/proceedings/aaep/2002/910102000131.PDF
http://www.willamettevalleyequine.com/myostitis.cfm

cowcrazy

Thanks, DL, for the information.  Someone I know gives the injectible Banimine orally.  Do you think that the animal benefits from this type of administration?

DL

cowcrazy said:
Thanks, DL, for the information.  Someone I know gives the injectible Banimine orally.  Do you think that the animal benefits from this type of administration?

Although not approved for use in cattle orally I can't see why it wouldn't be absorbed thru the mucus membranes of the calf like the paste is absorbed in the horse. Yes I think it works orally and in baby calves it may be a kinder way to deliver the drug. One caution - I have been unable to get a withhold for oral banamine in cattle - this should not be an issue with baby calves but could be with show calves near terminal shows. They measure the drug in various tissues including the liver - you do not want to be caught with a banamine residue