barley and oil

Help Support Steer Planet:

jasper

I just wanted to say thanks for all the info yall put out for us.."clueles" people.  I have 1 steer that I was really concerned about not getting finished. He had quit eaing and finally got that straightend out.

So, i went thru tons of old posts and found the barley and oil. I have been using that for about 2 weeks.. I swear i think he is looking better. he is at 1k pounds now, but looking better everyday. he's getting 1 big scoop of barley and 2oz of oil. per day. may try to bump him a little with the barley.

anyway thanks again......... <party>

shortyjock89

Glad to hear it's working out! We always tried to get our barley to about 30-35% of the feed volume when we were pushing steers. 

jasper

so, if you were feeding 20 lbs feed per day, you would do 14 grain + 6 barley ? or 20 feed +6 barley.

Im telling ya, it maybe my imagination but..i think he's looking better :)

shortyjock89

Well, if we were feeding 3 scoops/feeding 1 of those scoops would be barley. I have a bad habit of measuring feed by volume rather than weight. It just makes it easier here because the youngn's know how to measure scoops better than lbs, and I've not taken the time to measure how much a scoop of this or that weighs. 

Anyhow, we were really basic with our steer rations and it worked out great. We'd start with a BASE of 1/3 corn, 1/3 oats, and 1/3 barley, and then on top of that add in a protein pellet, beet pulp, and whatever else we wanted to add.  I believe that he's looking better already, and that is probably the oil in it giving him some added shine and it really can just make them look better overnight...I wanna say healthier, but that's not the right word for it.

jasper

I was getting nervous, i knew he would make weight..but just not having that 'look" to him. ya know...our fair isnt until next month, so he'll have plenty of time. PLUS, he was bloating alot, I guess that oil is really helping with that to.