Barn pics

Help Support Steer Planet:

lynle1234

We are getting ready to build a barn- looking for some pictures of layouts.  (I've already looked at the ones on the hall of fame section but want pictures of top notch lay outs)

feeder duck

lynle1234 said:
We are getting ready to build a barn- looking for some pictures of layouts.  (I've already looked at the ones on the hall of fame section but want pictures of top notch lay outs)

Are none of those "top notch" ?  Here is a link to a set up of a friend and one who knows "top notch"

http://www.cagwinfarms.com/Facilites.htm

Cattledog

feeder duck said:
lynle1234 said:
We are getting ready to build a barn- looking for some pictures of layouts.  (I've already looked at the ones on the hall of fame section but want pictures of top notch lay outs)

Are none of those "top notch" ?  Here is a link to a set up of a friend and one who knows "top notch"

http://www.cagwinfarms.com/Facilites.htm

Yep, I've been in Cagwin's barn.  It's one of coolest I've seen!

Show Heifer

I noticed the barn was empty.... did they have to sell all the cows to pay for the barn??  (Just joking!- but you have to admit, the thought is funny and sometimes true!)

oakbar

If you can, I'd recommend visiting Westwood Embryos in Waverly, IA.  Doc West put together what I think is a really handy setup for cows.  Its not fancy or complicated--it just works really, really well for working cows right in their pen.  Each pen has a head catch and a gate to swing over to make a chute.  In addition the walk gate into each pen opens into the back of this area.  Jim told me that the cows never leave the pen for shots, etc. when they are synchronizing, etc.  That really cuts down on the stress for the cows.  I can't see any reason the pens wouldn't work just as well as a calving pen either.  A visit is well worth your time to see how they set up their pens and pastures.  Great folks, too!!

Another thought I'd recommend is to include a some self catch stanchions in the group pens.  I give most of my shots to cows without ever going in the pen by just putting some feed in front of the four stanchions I have mounted in the group pen, letting the stanchion catch the cow as she comes in to eat, and then just flipping the release after I have given her the shot.  I also use this to put in most of the CIDRs right in the pen.  I saw these stanchions in the dairy equipment area at a MN farm show.  They are used in dairies in front of the dry cow feed bunks, etc..  They are made in 8 foot sections of four and they could be cut down as singles or doubles if you choose.  If you wanted to be able to catch more than four at a time you can buy multiple sections and they fit together on the ends.  Absolutely the best investment I've ever made for working with cows or catching club calves that don't want you to halter them.  Relieves a lot of stress on cattle and Iowegians!!

feeder duck

Riverrhode sales

Bill and Dave Bruer  1-815 842-2933.

My entire barn on the inside is there gates and chute. Both my cattle and hog gates. All custom.

Tell them you got there name from me

Jeff Cornell

Attachments

• 100_2129.jpg
    100_2129.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 341

kfacres

Show Heifer said:
I noticed the barn was empty.... did they have to sell all the cows to pay for the barn??   (Just joking!- but you have to admit, the thought is funny and sometimes true!)

actually no... I have been here many times... Jeff and family lived in Peoria, IL, and basically the town grew around them...  I think their operational farm was just a mile or so from the hospital, if you get the drift... finally they sold the place, by the square foot, for the 1000's... and moved about 20 miles or so out in the country.. and built this new place... It's pretty sweet.. has a solid oak floor in the clipper room even..

Jeff's a heck of a guy!!  has some super Char cattle too!!

Bone2011

kfacres said:
Show Heifer said:
I noticed the barn was empty.... did they have to sell all the cows to pay for the barn??   (Just joking!- but you have to admit, the thought is funny and sometimes true!)

actually no... I have been here many times... Jeff and family lived in Peoria, IL, and basically the town grew around them...  I think their operational farm was just a mile or so from the hospital, if you get the drift... finally they sold the place, by the square foot, for the 1000's... and moved about 20 miles or so out in the country.. and built this new place... It's pretty sweet.. has a solid oak floor in the clipper room even..

Jeff's a heck of a guy!!  has some super Char cattle too!!
My god oak floors in the clipper room!!!

Latest posts